Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 09-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
BusyWeb

My THE first dirt bike down...

My THE first dirt bike down experience to share.

Today, I went for a weekend day riding for Santa Ynez Mountains trails which is located just behind Santa Barbara, California.
This forest service road (5N12) has amazing sceneris around it.
All the types of bike could enjoy this road, Dirt, Street, Dual, or even with small cages.
Seeing south for the Pacific Ocean view.
Seeing north for the Los Padres National Forest mountains vista.

O.K. for my story.
When I was riding down paved road for an hour, I found a good/small dirt bike play ground by the road.
And couple of dirt bikers are playing at there.
As I was little bored at the pavement, I dare to get down the play ground for quick riding.
There were no gate to go down or up, just couple of small side dirt mound path for it.
Yes, I did some happy quick riding; however lost how/where to go up to the road back... ha ha ha

In 3 months of dirt life, I finally got a down; fortunately no damage at all.
None for the bike neither for me.
The other dirt rider helped me out of the trouble, and told me that I went to wrong path to go up.
Anyway, thanks for them who also from Los Angeles; sorry forgot your name. ^^;
Here is the stroy video clips.

[youtube:4e5hp40g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZW-mCL2tBU[/youtube:4e5hp40g]

PS: Let me put full Santa Ynez Mountain trails riding report later on.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: My THE first dirt bike down...

That paved road is where I did my first night of moto-camping. Had to rent a whole group site as it was the only spot left on the whole damn road. Glad you didn't bust anything. Hate to say it, but crash videos are more interesting than no crash videos, but don't go out of your way to make them more "interesting."

It's very nice up there. Here's a spot at the campgorund with a little water hazard. In my case, it WAS the correct gate (as in the only gate.) Very slippery with the algae and all - so get up enough speed, hit it straight on, and no braking until you clear the water.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Moedad

Now that you've gone down once, the pressure is off. You did good going 3 months without having a get-off.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
That paved road is where I did my first night of moto-camping. Had to rent a whole group site as it was the only spot left on the whole damn road. Glad you didn't bust anything. Hate to say it, but crash videos are more interesting than no crash videos, but don't go out of your way to make them more "interesting."
It's very nice up there. Here's a spot at the campgorund with a little water hazard. In my case, it WAS the correct gate (as in the only gate.) Very slippery with the algae and all - so get up enough speed, hit it straight on, and no braking until you clear the water.
Thanks, Mr. Alan.
My final destination was Hot Springs (Big Galiante Spring or Little Caliante Spring),
however, I couldn't get there in time and turned back just few miles before them.
I had to see Santa Barbara Sunset.. good excuese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Now that you've gone down once, the pressure is off. You did good going 3 months without having a get-off.
Thanks, Mr. Moedad.
Yes, I now little relieved from the bike-down worries.
And also, got some more tension for riding on dirt as I felt that I need some hardcore techniques when needed..
Whew...

Here is the video clip which contains photos taken from the same road trip.
I added short riding video clips at the end of this photo-slideshow.

[youtube:dxina558]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef2dwYZGuBk[/youtube:dxina558]

Part 3 - the Bike-Riding video clips are to be added soon after some editing...

Thanks
Old 09-27-2010, 03:28 AM   #5
3-D Video

Thanks for the memories, Busy! I used to live in Painted Cave.
Some nights I'd drive down to Big Caliente, soak in the 109º water, drag myself over to the Little Caliente, and plop myself into the near freezing stream. You could hear my screams echoing for… In fact, I think I can still hear them :biggrin:

Old 09-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-D Video
Thanks for the memories, Busy! I used to live in Painted Cave.
Some nights I'd drive down to Big Caliente, soak in the 109º water, drag myself over to the Little Caliente, and plop myself into the near freezing stream. You could hear my screams echoing for… In fact, I think I can still hear them :biggrin:
Thanks, Mr. 3D.

Wow.. the Painted Cave looked for me as $$$ peoples.. just a kidding.
It is a really nice place to settle in, very good environment.
You might miss alot.

Next time, I won't miss those hot springs.
Many tourists are up there I guess, I saw even couple of small sedans coming/going there through the hard dirt roads (over 10 miles of twisted canyon dirt road).
And, I felt that they are really like those hot springs... ha ha ha
Old 09-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #7
3-D Video

Times change. It was a bunch of retirees, working class poor, and students when I lived there in the 60's. We shared 10 party lines and it all felt pretty isolated, especially when the coast got socked in, which happened often; It's like we'd float up there, detached, just a little island in an ocean of clouds.
The only "$$$" guy around had bulldozed himself a lake and lived in a houseboat… overlooking Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands. Pretty sweet!
I lived in what was the first house there. The core of my place was an old log cabin and I rented it for the $53/yr property tax. The guy who originally built it had once said he never wanted to leave Painted Cave. When he died, they loaded his body in a wagon and hauled him back toward Santa Barbara. But, the wagon spilled on the way down and his body was never recovered from the creek below.
Busy. I'm really looking forward to your hot springs trip when you do it!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
dannylightning

that sucks bussy, glad you are ok and your bike did not get hurt. i crashed a dirt bike once hitting a big jump lol. probably like the 5th time i had ever rode one. it was fun tho, i did not get hurt and the bike was ok, i was a dare devil when i was a kid.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
that sucks bussy, glad you are ok and your bike did not get hurt. i crashed a dirt bike once hitting a big jump lol. probably like the 5th time i had ever rode one. it was fun tho, i did not get hurt and the bike was ok, i was a dare devil when i was a kid.
Thanks Danny for the comments.
I'm feeling that I was very lucky.
If I got mis-fortune, I might had hit those big rocks around it.
Whew....
Yes, Kids don't have fear naturally ... ha ha ha
Old 09-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-D Video
Times change. It was a bunch of retirees, working class poor, and students when I lived there in the 60's. We shared 10 party lines and it all felt pretty isolated, especially when the coast got socked in, which happened often; It's like we'd float up there, detached, just a little island in an ocean of clouds.
The only "$$$" guy around had bulldozed himself a lake and lived in a houseboat… overlooking Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands. Pretty sweet!
I lived in what was the first house there. The core of my place was an old log cabin and I rented it for the $53/yr property tax. The guy who originally built it had once said he never wanted to leave Painted Cave. When he died, they loaded his body in a wagon and hauled him back toward Santa Barbara. But, the wagon spilled on the way down and his body was never recovered from the creek below.
Busy. I'm really looking forward to your hot springs trip when you do it!
That's the story and histroy itself.
The time changes tooooo fast, I'm getting into it. ^^;
O.K., whenever I have another chance to go up there, won't miss those and take many photos for you.
The man (patrick) met at the parking lot told me that he was camping near Little Caliente Spring.
And told me, the spring is in a really small size >> I have to see it myself for sure in next time ventures.