Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Shammua

New to me, can't wait

Howdy all,
I have a 2000 GZ in my garage that I am about to purchase from a friend of mine after I got it running. They can't afford to replace the dry rotted tires or anything else such as insurance and what not.... Anyway this is my first bike and I liked it the first time I saw it then after cruiseing this site a little bit I fell in love with it since I see it can be made into a bobber. I love that style and eventually it will get remade.

I have a few questions for everyone that will greatly help me out.

1. I am having a hard time finding replacement tires, is there other sizes that will work to replace the 111/90-16 and 130/90-15M?
2. I put in a new battery (it isn't run hardly at all) but the battery doesn't seem to hold a charge. Is there anything like an alt. for this? I am knowledgable about cars and trucks but am fairly new to motorcycles.
3. This bike has been sitting for YEARS, (I got it started and replaced plug) what else besides the oil should I check?

More to come and I hope to get to know everyone on here and maybe even make excuses for a road trip or two.

Matt Holland

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
JWR

Re: New to me, can't wait

1. I got good wear from Kenda tires. 90/90 works fine.

2. A battery must have good 8 hour charge before use or it will not hold up.
Alt. is not usually the problem. Search dead battery on this forum.

3. Seafoam or Berryman's for the fuel. Clean the air filter.

Download the manual from this site.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammua

1. I am having a hard time finding replacement tires, is there other sizes that will work to replace the 111/90-16 and 130/90-15M?
Welcome.The original front tire is 110/90-16.A good replacement is 100/90-16.I always had good luck with Kendra tires.They are reasonable priced,and long wearing.The rear tire is no problem to find in the proper size.If you want a 140/90-15 will fit.
:2tup:

Old 02-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
mole2

Welcome from South Carolina. If you haven't taken the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course) now would be a good time. It will get you started on the right foot and avoid bad habits. Also, since you're used to working on cars don't use automotive oil in your ride. Automotive oil contains friction modifiers which will ruin the clutch. Use only morotocycle oil. I use Mobil 1 V-Twin but there is Castrol, Amsoil etc out there.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Shammua

Thank you for the advice!
I do have to say I don't asume anything, so with the motorcycle I am only using what is recommended by the manufacture until I know 100% about something else.

I am starting out with taking the bike to a local shop and having them do a good tune up on it so that it's at 100% and I didn't miss something due to lack of knowledge.

I have been doing some restoration to the bike now and have been taking pictures as I go. I will post them up soon enough.

Matt Holland

Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
alantf

Hi there, & welcome to the mad house. A tune up - That's basically cleaning the carb,(the achilles heel of the GZ) but you can do that yourself with a dose of carb cleaner in the tank. If that doesn't do it, the carb needs to be stripped, but that's a last resort. Then the valves need checking & setting if necessary. Not a hard job, but you may want to let the shop do it if you're not mechanically minded. Check & clean the air filter (with compressed air - from the outside in) or replace if it's completely shot. Remove the plug from the pipe that hangs down under the seat. drain any fluid that might be in it, & replace the plug. Oil & filter change, then lubricate all cables & pivot points. Check free play in clutch cable/lever. Replace spark plug if necessary.

That's about it. The GZ really IS that simple. It might sound a lot, but,really, the only thing you might want to let the shop do is the valves. The rest can be done by any reasonably competent person, in an hour, & it'll save you an awful lot of $$$$$.

If I've forgotten anything, I'm sure someone will post it. :2tup:
Old 02-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Shammua

Actually what the shop is doing for me since this bike has sat around for years is they are checking cable tensions, clutch adjustments, replacing tires and making sure everything is lined up properly, checking chain and lubing everything that can get lubed (except me). They are checking electrical, mechanical, and also looking for anything that may need tweaking. plus full fluid replacement and flushing.

It really wont be much but for $70 it's a piece of mind for me and then from there I am taking over and doing it myself.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
alantf

Are you sure it's $70? You've not mentioned the valves, & that's an hour's labour on its own. Plus fluids, filters, plug etc, & the price keeps going up & up. I really think you should get a TOTAL figure before you wheel it in. :??:
Old 02-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Shammua

I am a local store owner and we have worked out a pretty decent deal. Oh yeah I already have the filters, plugs, and some of the fluids. Pretty cool shop here and I am getting all my gear from them to help out where I can with the local economy.

They figure that since I am getting new tires, jacket, helmet, gloves, shades and then new helmets for the kids and wife they would happily work with me on the inital maintenance. lol Plus I think they saw the wife eyeing a bike on the show room floor.

lol Honestly though they know that if you take good care of your customers you will have them for life, not just inital purchase. I run my store the same way and so I am happily going to them when ever I need something, even though I could find it for cheaper online. Great Customer Service goes a LONG way these days...
Old 02-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
GZBrian

Welcome Matt. Once she's fixed up, you'll enjoy the GZer. GZBrian