Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 03-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
wimpy002

Which bike would you buy?

Two options: 2002 GZ250 with 3000 miles. (new brakes) $1400 "or best offer" so guessing I can get it a couple hundred less.

2009 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 5000 miles $1500 (has neon blue lights added)

I'ts not my first bike but haven't had one for a couple years & don't have enough cash for a bigger one right now. Mostly just using it to cruise around town & for very short (3 miles) commute to work.

The Kaw seems nearly new, even though it has a few more miles on it is why I was thinking of that one, even though it's pretty small. (I'm a small person, though 5'4")

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
alantf

Re: Which bike would you buy?

Hi there,
A 250 versus a 125? No contest! The 250 isn't a really powerful bike for anything more than local riding. It really shines at around 50-55 MPH, & is really manouverable in heavy traffic, it is what it is, & I love mine. An engine half that size, Mmmmmmmmm.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Got to look at the rest of it. Will you need new tires? etc. If neither bike needs any work, I'd go with the 250.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
blaine

Welcome.The G.Z. hands down! If you get it for a couple hundred less,all the better.That will give you enough money for new tires,that I bet you need.(even if they look good,they are old).Also a good way to get the price lowered!
:cool:

Old 03-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Are you more interested in long distance riding or in fuel economy?

The 125 is super light and would be awesome for getting around town and snapping through traffic. It gets about 95 MPG.

The GZ would be your choice for everything else. (Like longer rides) and gets about 60-70MPG

Old 03-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
GZBrian

Hi Wimpy002, We have owned a 2006 125 Kawa eliminator and currently own a 2006 GZ250. I am 5`10" tall weigh 175 lbs. My wife is 5`4" and weighs about 100 lbs. We always ride two up so here you go:

Kawa 125 pros- Great gas mileage (about 83-85 for us), Decent sitting position, Lightweight, looks bigger then a 125 with the large tank, easy to change plug and oil (On the GZ you have to remove a cover to get to the plug. Not a big deal but wanted to mention it). That pretty much is the pros.

Kawa 125 cons- Battery is a pain. Have to remove it to check water levels and because it is a lower AH battery then the GZ it does seem like it struggles a bit in the cold. Battery upkeep on the Kawa was my biggest pain. Lack of power, even on small inclines we sometime felt like we had to get off and push it. Not much power from the Kawa. While the seats are OK, after about an hour you really feel like you've ridden a 125. Longer rides then an hour really make you feel it. In the cold, you have to fight with the idle, it does not idle very good compared to cold and warmed up. On the GZ I have the idle set in one setting that is perfect and I have not messed with it for some time. Side cover removal of the Kawa was VERY tricky. Not very easy to line the tabs up. Tires for the Kawa you had to get from the Kawa dealer as they are a special size. Even other dealers who said they could get any tire admitted that the 125 Kawa had to get 1 special tire size only. I don't remember the sizes, but we had both the tires, tubes, and rim guard bands done and it was about $300-$400 I believe. As far as additional lighting added, be careful. With the smaller battery (maybe they have a different one in there you should check to make sure), it would be OK. I would be careful on this one.

GZ250 pros- More comfortable, much more power for us, we do not feel like we have to push this anywhere, with the exception of the spark plug, easy upkeep (removing the cover is not bad, just another step in changing the plug), and easier to add on backrest, saddlebags, etc. Also MPG on the GZ for us is about 73 mpg.

GZ250 cons- The only real con I have seen is that some of the GZ's 2005-2007 according to this site: http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b223487/
Ours fell under this TSB and what that is the rear tire rubbed on the chain side of the bike. When you looked at the bike form the rear, the fender was way offset to the right and the tire was offset to the left. Our dealer fixed this for ours, but to be honest I still had to do a little mod to it. Being a 2002 yours should be fine but check the back tire/fender anyway. Hope this helps you. GZBrian
Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
wimpy002

Thanks for all the info. I'm actually looking at a 2007 GZ250 now. I did not see anything about the recall you mentioned on the site you linked. (Link took me to a BMW recall.) The only recall I can find for the 2007 GZ250 is a reflector issue. Do you a different link or any more info on that recall?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
GZBrian

Yes Try this one and click on the 2005. From what I see it should be only 2005 and 2006. GZBrian
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB/2006 ... Suspension

One word of advice. I just got a Dunlop 404 rear tire put on (after I had a screw in the other one and felt safer getting a new tire rather then walking). Seems like this one fits better then the Metzler I had replaced. Seems like the Dunlop is a little thinner and the clearance between the rails and the tire is a little more then the Metzler. Makes me wonder why Suzuki would make the rails that hold the fender on so close to the tire. It seems like they have the room to have made it wider. So far no problems with my Dunlop 404 tire rubbing at all. Hope this helps.. GZBrian
Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
Krazy Kraut

The 250 rides nice and I think that a pretty good price. I love mine and I will not sell it, even if I get a bigger one. Great starter bike enjoy