Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
DJK

New guy with a question

I just finished my BRC class last Sunday and used a GZ250, which I really liked and I am planning on buying one. I am a 56 year old male total newbie.
I am going to look at a 2008 model later today that has about 1800 miles on it. My concern is that it has hardly been used in the last year, if at all. He was up front about that. What kinds of things should I watch for or plan for with a motorcycle in this situation? He says it's been "serviced" and is ready to ride which doesn't tell me much, especially being a rookie.
I'm really excited about continuing my learning to ride properly and safely. I appreciate any input, ideas and help you can give me.

Dan

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: New guy with a question

Check the condition of the tires. If they are starting to dry-crack, then that's something to talk him down on.

Make sure when you get there that he hasn't warmed it up before showing it to you. You want to see and hear it crank over from bone-cold. That's the best way to know what life will be like when you fire it up in the mornings.

These things are pretty simple.

Only other thing would be to make sure all the lights and blinkies work and that when you rev it up, the idle doesn't hang or bike doesn't spit and sputter.

If you're going to meet the guy in person, I trust with your age and experience you'll be able to sniff out a rat if there is one.

But, even if things aren't in 100% shape, these bikes are easy to fix and pretty reliable. For the right price, I would take it anyway.

EDIT: Give the bike a good walk-around too. Take a few minutes and think before you give him an answer. Just look it over like you know what you're doing
Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
blaine

Welcome to the forum.Good luck on your buy.About the hardest maintenance to perform is the valve adjustment.It's not that hard if your mechanically inclined & take your time.keep us posted!
:cool:

Old 04-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

I have an '08 that HAS been ridden. Here's my recommendation.

1) Go over there when the bike is absolutely cold (feel it - not the pipe maybe, but put your hand near the cooler parts of the engine fins - you want the bike dead cold.)
2) Put the choke on full.
3) Get on the bike or have him get on it. Put the front brake on, pull in the clutch, put up the kickstand and press the starter with your thumb. Don't give it any gas. One or two presses and it should fire right up. Listen to the idle. Initially it will be slow and hesitant, but after a minute or two , it should start to climb. Sit there for a few minutes until it starts to race a bit and then back off the choke a little. Idle should drop a little, but not stall. Press the kill switch.

If it's hard to start, it may need a more thorough carb service, or it might need a new battery, or their might be crap in the gas tank, or etc. etc. Have the guy service it and repeat this test until it passes.

The tires on my 08 look pretty good to me but I live in CA and you are in a completely different world temperature wise.

Check out the blinkers and the neutral light. I've had some trouble with mine - not a huge deal really, but if he'll fix before you buy it, all the better.

Since you are a newb and of similar age to me, I can't recommend you take it out and open it all the way up on your first ride, but if you have a friend, you should make sure it'll do at least 65 on a flat stretch.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Continuing your riding career is easy. Just ride with the knowledge from the course. Also pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. I can't stress enough how valuable his writings are. Uh...........maybe I can, his writings are the basis for most riding course in the North American environment. The book itself goes far beyond what you get in rider training with a lot of helpful hints to make riding a real pleasure.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
DJK

Thank you for all your comments and ideas. The seller called me two hours before we were to meet to tell me he couldn't get the motorcycle started and there was gas coming out of somewhere as he tried. I could tell he was frustrated and it seemed to me he didn't know much more than I do about his machine. He is going to ask his uncle to come help and then is going to get back to me. Meanwhile, I am continuing to look for my first motorcycle, a GZ250.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
alantf

Just a guess......but it sounds like the float is stuck (in the carb) & fuel is coming out of the overflow pipe. This would only happen when the engine is trying to start, & the vacuum is opening the petcock to let fuel flow. Carb problems are the biggest problems with the GZ. If you do eventually buy the bike, the first job is a dose of carb cleaner in the tank. We can't get carb cleaner, over here, so I usually run with fuel additive (which contains a cleaner) in the tank. :2tup:
Old 04-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Just a guess......but it sounds like the float is stuck (in the carb) & fuel is coming out of the overflow pipe. This would only happen when the engine is trying to start, & the vacuum is opening the petcock to let fuel flow. Carb problems are the biggest problems with the GZ. If you do eventually buy the bike, the first job is a dose of carb cleaner in the tank. We can't get carb cleaner, over here, so I usually run with fuel additive (which contains a cleaner) in the tank. :2tup:
Sometimes if you tap the side of the float bowl,it will jar the float enough to close,than you can start it and add some cleaner to the tank.
:cool:

Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Low ball him and buy it as-is.
Like I said, these are easy to fix and a simple carb problem might help you get the bike for almost nothing.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
DJK

The 2008 didn't work out, but I am now the proud owner of a 2009 with only 423 miles on it! I haven't been this excited in a long time! I had seen this one on Craigslist, but it was more than I wanted to spend. Yesterday morning I was checking again for any new listings and saw the price had been dropped six hundred dollars and I was fortunate to be the first one there with cash. He even drove it 60 miles to my house for me( he volunteered to do that, but I gave him a nice tip. I really wasn't sure how I was going to get it home, I had ideas, but I liked his idea better.). His wife had taken the BRC last fall and he found her this machine because she wanted something exactly like she used in class. She drove it a little last fall but over the winter decided it wasn't for her.
I am looking forward to learning as much as possible from all you here. I know I will have lots of questions.