Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Nightsbane

I need your help, am I the right size, & should I buy a 250?

I will give the briefest introduction possible to explain my situation, and thank you in advance for your advice. A motorcycle was always something I wanted to have someday, but in the back of my mind seemed like one of those things that might always be just a dream. Then a year ago my car bit the dust, and I had next to no money to buy a replacement, as so I took the 500 I had and bought a 50cc scooter from a dealer. It ended up being a rip-off and cheap piece of chunk that broke down in two weeks. The dealer had closed up shop and I was screwed. I scrounged up what I could to buy a Kymco Super 8 50cc. The ride was much better, as in my opinion the Super 8 is simply the best scooter model on the planet. The only issue was that while the dealer told me I would go 35, but it would barely hit 28 at little to no wind. I didn't feel safe with all the traffic up my butt, so the dealer let me trade it back in towards a 150cc super 8. This one has some serious power and rides fairly well. It can go up to around 65-70, but honestly it doesn't feel too safe at that weight past 45-50.

So now I am at 150cc and it requires a license. I signed up for the MSF course, and had to wait six weeks to get in, but last weekend was my three day class. I only took this so I could drive my scooter, and then perhaps later get a motorcycle, but something unexpected happened. I caught the bug. All I was riding was a 125cc Kawasaki little cruiser but I was totally hooked. I knew that weekend I had to be on a bike as soon as possible. To be honest, my scooter can blow any mid size cruiser off the line with its low end power, but it's not about that. I just feel like I am not really a part of the "club" of cyclists on a scooter regardless of what my state registered title and tags say. I also get tired of being made fun of incessantly for the scooter as well.

Having said all that I am now on the hunt for my first motorcycle. I plan on selling my scooter, and have some other deals in the works to end up with up to around 4000.00 once everything is sold. I am trying to figure out what to buy. The range rides seemed alright, they had gz250's but I never got the chance to sit on one. I went to a local store planning on picking up the honda rebel, but I was cramped and felt like a clown on it. I am right at six foot and 200 pounds. I sat on a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 and was in love with the feel and the look, but I am unsure about jumping right up to 750, as I don't know how difficult that will be to do. I went into my MSF course with zero motorcycle experience or knowledge and had trouble with the gears at first but other than that be the end of the weekend the bike felt second nature.

So should I buy a Honda Shadow 750, or buy a Suzuki gz250 to get rolling? I sat on one a couple minutes at a local dealer and it seemed a lot better than the rebel. The particular bike just went on clearance (if it's still there) and is $3000.00 brand new with the three year warranty. The main thing I am concerned about is not wanting to look like a dork. I don't want "scooter syndrome" and feel like I have a pair of training wheels on when I pass other bikers around here, of which there are many. I do not want to look like I am sitting on a toy, but I also want to be safe and feel confident. I also was almost completely set on the shadow so I could buy something that could go on the highway right way, but I am mostly an in town cruiser. I may need to use a bike to go to class this fall 25 minutes away on a light traffic 60mph blacktop. If I buy the shadow it feels like I will have the bike I need for a long time, as it can do most everything, but I do not want to buy a 4000.00 bike that I cannot control and bust up. I don't have the money to just buy bikes whenever I feel like it, so this decision is important. As I said though, I am a cruiser, I don't care too much about drag racing, I enjoy the smooth rumble of an engine while enjoying a sunset. Lastly my daughters want to be able to take rides with me and I want them to have space for short rides in town.

So there it is longwinded, but I would appreciate ANY and ALL advice you could give me. Even in my office my motorcylce addiction causes my ears to perk up and hear every single bike that rolls by my house all day, and has been all week. I've got to be on one soon! :rawk:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
blaine

Re: I need your help, am I the right size, & should I buy a

Welcome to the forum.I would go with G.Z for the first season at least.A lot of people make the mistake of going to big to quick and finding out to late their mistake.The G.Z. looks bigger than it is,and can cruise at 60 to 65 no problem.You may be better off,buying a used G.Z to ride for a while,and than upgrading to your new Shadow.You will stand to loose much less money this way,and if you drop a used G.Z and scratch it up,no biggie.Good luck on your decision and ride safe.
:2tup:

Old 06-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
geezer

blaine is probably right for most riders. its kinda crazy to go up to 750 right off the bat. but you know what, i started on a vstar 650 and i did fine. never had any problems riding that bike. in my opinion anyone with a fair amount of rider skill doesnt have to limit them selves to the so called "beginner bike". so what if the bike weighs a few more pounds, your tall and i assume strong enough to get on that 750 and ride. and if you keep it slow till you learn how to ride you should be safe. i agree on the rebel, its super tiny, i also sat on one. plus they seem even cheesier than the gz. me and you are right at the same height and weight so i know the bigger bike isnt going to mess you up. but i own a gz now and its perfectly fine for slow riding. choice is yours bra

Old 06-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Strelok

Nightsbane~

Based upon your continual upgrading of Scooters, you describing the way you felt on the Rebel 250
and your concern for appearances & fitting in...I would say you know the answer to this already.
Get the bigger Bike. While it doesn't have to be specifically the Shadow 750, there are many
used Bikes available at around the same displacement at a wide range of prices. Just don't
be in a hurry. Use Cycle Trader & Craig's List to find the right one. Do a lot of testing,
riding and find the one that will leave no doubt in your mind. That's just my opinion.

Good Luck.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

I have to agree with Blaine on this decision. Get a used GZ for at least a season. Develope your skills, refine your riding and muscle response before going bigger. From what you say there is no need for a larger bike just yet with your riding parameters. Learn to walk before you run, the world won't leave you behind. The GZ is one of the best first bikes and will love living with you.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
alantf

I've been riding for many years, and have had the gz for over 4 years, now. I must admit that I moved from one small island (England) to another (Tenerife) so I've never had the wide open spaces that you have in America. All my bikes have been small (no more than 250cc) and the only time I've really wanted a bigger one is for motorway/autopista riding (70 to 75 mph limit) where I've been struggling to keep up with the traffic.

What I'm trying to say, is that it's up to you what size bike you get. Don't feel pressured into getting something that you don't want. Just remember that the gz is one of the cheapest bikes on the market. It gets a better mpg than the bigger bikes, and maintenance is cheaper. You say that money is tight (as it is for me - I'm on pension) so financially you can't go wrong with the gz. If you don't want to travel faster than 60 to 65 mph for long periods, then the gz is the bike for you. If you buy used, then decide to upgrade in a couple of years, I don't reckon you'd lose that much, so the choice is really up to you. :2tup:
Old 06-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
grego

nightbane
i'm a new rider. i'm 68 and never ridden a bike before. i went thru the riding school and learned the basics. i picked the gz because i could put both feet flat on the ground which you don't have a problem with. it's not that heavy and i liked the style. the gz is a very forgiving bike when i do something i shouldn't it lets me get away with it and i know not to do that again.... if you drove a scooter you are way ahead of me. its a fun bike to ride and will be easy to sell when its time to upgrade. and an easy bike to learn how to work on. with the manual in one hand and the forum in the other i have managed to fix and adjust a few things. my vote is for the gz. and who cares what people think as long as your having fun and enjoying the ride that's all that matters.

safe biking

grego

ps for the other newbies out there. i have figured out that if you find a highway/freeway that has an on ramp that becomes the off ramp for the next exit you can slowly get the speed up to 65 and not be in traffic and get the feel of riding on the highway/freeway
Old 06-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Rionna

Hello, I am a new rider as well. Got my endorsement last year and my GZ250 a few weeks ago. I live in a busy city with driver's with a lot of road rage. All my friends ride great big HD's, FJR's and Kawasaki's and tried to encourage me to to join their ranks. I made the decision to get a smaller bike to develop my skills and confidence. So far, I have made so many mistakes on the GZ, but fortunately the bike was understanding, and I've been safe. I'm riding in traffic now, at night, and on busy streets. The GZ allows me to improve my control and maneuvering of the bike which has improved my confidence level tremendously. I cringe when I consider what would have happened so far if I had a bigger bike and made some of the errors I've made so far. Yes, I do want the speed, yes I look like an ant next to my friends, yes I will upgrade to a bigger bike in the future. But for now, I want to be safe. So ultimately go with the bike that you feel that you can confidently handle. Most importantly wear the proper gear no matter what bike you choose. Have fun!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
Nightsbane

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am curious though, as to what mistakes some of you have been making that were safer on the GZ than other bikes? Thanks.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

I think Rionna has the best answer. A larger bike can overwhelm a new rider and spoil their ability to be comfy and build confidence. The weight factor alone is enough to do you in if your foot slips on something wet or slippery while coming to a stop. Lynda rode her GZ for 3 years before getting her M-50 800 V-twin. She has said more than once that the GZ was a great first bike that prepared her for a mid sized cruiser with a lot more heft, power, size and giggles.