Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
michaelr

Battery Charging \ Running problem

Ok, here is the issue I had today, any help is greatly appreciated....

About a month ago I replaced the battery, (charged it etc...). The Rode it for about an hour, then after it sat for about two weeks it was dead again, charged the battery again and it fired right up... Rode it for about 30 min, parked it for two days, fired it up and rode it for about 20 min - then it started running sluggish and I noticed (when I saw my reflection in a window) that the headlight was barely lit up and was flickering with the idle, but even revving the engine would not "brighten" the headlamp. The horn would not work either (actually it did beep, but it was so quiet you couldn't really hear it over the engine \ street noise). Took out the battery and charged it again, rode it for about an hour with no problems.

The next day (today) I rode the bike for about 45 min and the bike died while riding it. Pulled off the street and could not get it to start, even push starting it.... I dis connected the battery and was able to get the bike to start.... then things got even more weird... Trying to limp this bike home after I got it started, anytime I turn the throttle the bike would choke and nearly die, but if I let off and turn up the choke it would idle fine, but again choke if I try to apply gas... so I turned the choke all the way up and let the engine rev, slooooowly release the clutch, get up to speed and shift into 2nd, 3rd, and managed to get home...

Without the battery connected the headlamp was very dim, the horn did not work, and the bike would nearly die if I tried to use the blinker...

This bike has never had a problem before, ever...

I do not have a test meter (I'm going to go get one), but does this sound like it a voltage regulator issue?
Should the bike run like normal if the battery is disconnected?
Any other things I could test to isolate this?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
OldNTired

Re: Battery Charging \ Running problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelr
Ok, here is the issue I had today, any help is greatly appreciated....

About a month ago I replaced the battery, (charged it etc...). The Rode it for about an hour, then after it sat for about two weeks it was dead again, charged the battery again and it fired right up... Rode it for about 30 min, parked it for two days, fired it up and rode it for about 20 min - then it started running sluggish and I noticed (when I saw my reflection in a window) that the headlight was barely lit up and was flickering with the idle, but even revving the engine would not "brighten" the headlamp. The horn would not work either (actually it did beep, but it was so quiet you couldn't really hear it over the engine \ street noise). Took out the battery and charged it again, rode it for about an hour with no problems.

The next day (today) I rode the bike for about 45 min and the bike died while riding it. Pulled off the street and could not get it to start, even push starting it.... I dis connected the battery and was able to get the bike to start.... then things got even more weird... Trying to limp this bike home after I got it started, anytime I turn the throttle the bike would choke and nearly die, but if I let off and turn up the choke it would idle fine, but again choke if I try to apply gas... so I turned the choke all the way up and let the engine rev, slooooowly release the clutch, get up to speed and shift into 2nd, 3rd, and managed to get home...

Without the battery connected the headlamp was very dim, the horn did not work, and the bike would nearly die if I tried to use the blinker...

This bike has never had a problem before, ever...

I do not have a test meter (I'm going to go get one), but does this sound like it a voltage regulator issue?
Should the bike run like normal if the battery is disconnected?
Any other things I could test to isolate this?

Yes, get a meter and after charging the battery check out the rectifier (not regulator, but does the same job) using the procedure in the manual.
Let us know what you find, and if it isn't the rectifier we'll find out what tje problem is.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
alantf

Actually, there is a rectifier circuit and a regulator, it's just that they're combined in the same unit.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
GZ250

sometimes even new batteries are not good. but if the battery is good and it is holding the charge and it is still dying then there is something called "alternator" in cars, the same thing in MC must be bad. it charges/holds the charge.

if you cannot check yourself take battery to auto shop for a free test to see if it is holding the charge. do not drain the battery too much like this as it will kill the battery. clean battery terminals and wires with sand paper for a good connection.

if you disconnect the battery and nothing is wrong the bike will run rough so a good battery is necessary for a GZ.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
mrlmd1

The issue is most likely not the bike, it may be you. This has been a problem voiced many. many times on here.
If you bought a new AGM battery, it has to be put on a charger and FULLY CHARGED before first use or the battery will NEVER hold a full charge and will be dead after only a few starts of the bike. Usually these are purchased and the salesman tells you to put it in the bike and go and that is wrong advice. You must charge it up first and not rely on him. So I would ask you, how long was it on a charger before you used it and did you measure the battery voltage after you charged it? A fully charged battery will read 12.6-12.8V at rest. My advice is to charge it up fully again and bring it back to the shop or a service station and check it with a load tester. If it passes the test, the battery is good and then it is not your problem. If it fails, then obviously, it is the cause of your problem.

Another thing which some newbies to the GZ mistakenly do is when they shut off the bike they may turn the key all the way to the left past OFF and into the PARK position. This leaves on the rear tailights which may not be noticed when you walk away from the bike, resulting in a dead battery when you return.

The GZ needs a good, charged, battery to run well, it has a puny charging system, and needs juice to fire off the ignition system appropriately.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Actually, there is a rectifier circuit and a regulator, it's just that they're combined in the same unit.

Technically true, but the part is listed as a 'rectifier' in all factory literature.
I didn't want to confuse him by using a term he will never find in the factory manual.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
alantf

[attachment=0:5qpgvrz6]img036.jpg[/attachment:5qpgvrz6]

This is from the workshop manual. It shows, quite clearly, the rectifier/regulator circuit.