Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
WdavisUI

Dropped My Bike

I have had my 2004 GZ250 for about 3 months now. Riding so far has been going really well, today i was in a parking lot doing about 10-15MPH and looking for a spot to pull in to. I glance to my right and saw an SUV doing about 30 heading right towards me, i slam on my hand brake and with the slight turn i had going to the right i dropped down. Luckily i landed mostly on my leg and arm so besides some scrapes to the tailpipe,right mirror and the hand brake being slightly bent no major damage. I got up adjusted everything back into place, cursed at the SUV and found a parking spot. Nothing really seems damaged except the scrapes and the slightly tweaked hand brake. Can doing this to a bike damage anything other than cosmetically? Should i take the bike in to get looked at? Any advise would be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-06-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Jaime

I don't think you're going to have other mechanical problems...

Sometimes the liquid acumulated in the bottom tube of the air filter box can enter the carb when the bike's dropped, but if it was running normally afterwards, don't worry about it.
Also, check that the brake pump has no damage, that no air has entered the brake hose (if bike's dropped and hand brake's pushed, some air could be pumped in), and that the parts that have been hit aren't loose.

Be careful with SUVs!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Oops, another bent lever. Such is life on a bike. Call me paranoid but I would inspect the brake lever for any small cracks in the metal and also the lever perch for the same. If everything looks good that is a bonus. If the lever has to be bent back into shape to work properly then be aware that every time you bent it it will weaken somewhat. Worst case is replacing the lever and keeping the damaged one for a spare just in case you snap one off while riding. Glad you did not get hurt and the bike was okay to ride. Just curious, were you wearing any safety gear ??

Old 05-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Carl

I dropped mine yesterday as well. I was tightening a brake cable and the kickstand sunk into some soft ground. It broke the clutch lever but that is all I see. It was like slow motion man. I saw a little wobble when I was on the ground and by the time I stood up...PLOP. It made me ill. Oh well, as long as nothing is broken other than the lever then that's not too bad. Now I'm off to get the replacement.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Just falling over at slow speed shouldn't have damaged anything mechanically. Like everyone esle has mentioned, check out your brakes. Since you are writing this after the fact I assume you had a hard time starting the bike right after it fell over. That was nothing to be concerned with. When you lean a carb far enough over, it will flood and make the bike hard to start. Since everything seems to be running fine now, I just learn for the experience, replace the parts that are broken and keep on riding.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Carl

I checked my air filter today and it had a few drops of oil on it. I drained the tube on the bottom and 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil came out. Would that be because of the drop or is there another issue?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

That little tube works as an oil blow-off catch. Having some oil in the bottom of the air filter housing is completely normal.

It's probably a good thing that you drained it. Eventually, it gets pretty nasty in there.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
Carl

Cool, thanks for the feedback
Old 05-06-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
bigfour

Glad you're OK, I dropped mine in a much dumber way... pulled up to a gas station, got off the bike, pulled out my wallet.... CRASH... my kickstand wasn't fully extended.

Luckily there wasn't any real damage which I expect to be the same in your case. Remember to plug the airbox hose back up after you drain it. I've read that some members leave the plug off, but that can mess up your air/fuel mixture and allow air to bypass the filter.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
mcintyre_aerospace

Sorry, havent been on in a while, well I laid mine over going about 50 - 55 mph and it hit a curb. Other than personal injury, the accident didnt hurt too much. The muffler was scratcher up, as well as the headlight and speedo destroyed, but no real damage to the engine, rear fender, and only a small dent in gas tank. This bike is surprisingly strong. so no worries