Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Tru5abi

Newbi Mistake

Its been 6 months since i've paid my bike any attention. I just put it in the garage, 6 months ago without doing any of the preventative things your supposed to do.

Now that its getting warm outside i went to start it, all the lights came on but the engine wouldn't turn over. Then i went to Canadian Tire, got a battery charger, charged that lil sucker.(big surprise on the battery size i even laughed, when i took it out) This being my first bike and everything, so its all new to me. With the battery charged, the engine turns over but it still doesn't start. Now im getting a little annoyed with the bike, and low and behold my dad walks in and laughs at me, he says " u didn't think it was gonna start did u" me "yes" dad " serves you right" and goes inside. I go and ask him what that was all about. He fills me in on a whole bunch of things like fuel stabalizer, and that the bikes carb and spark plug prolly need to be cleaned. Now i got the tank off and the fuel drained. I don't have the tool kit so that spark plug ain't coming out. I have the spark plug sockets but they don't fit.

thats my situation as of tonight any suggestions.
My dad thought it would be funny by not letting me on all this 6 months ago, he claims he told me to read the manual, when i got the bike in may and that all the info for storage was probably in there.

And
its 2005 model with 7400km

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

And did you follow dad's advice and read the manual ?? Heh heh. Probably not would be my guess. It is really easy to just park a bike until the next ride. After you get all the stuff done that needs to be done, do not forget this one thing. When you first try to start the bike make sure the fuel petcock is in the prime position. It is in the manual. After it starts put the petcock back in the normal position. Let us know how you make out.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Tru5abi

Before i took the tank off, i tried the primer but still no start.
IM going to put the new spark plug in and see what happens. I don't really want to take the carb apart but if the spark plug doesn't get it to fire up, then i guess im going to have no choice and take it apart

Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Take off the tank

Drain all the old gas out into a sutiable container

Drain the carb

Refill the tank with fresh gas and re-install it.

Prime the petcock and load the carb with fresh gas

Use lots of choke and she should start back up. It'll take a while for the carb to begin flowing correctly and push all of that old gunk through but she'll get there.

You don't need to take anything apart.

Once she is running well again, pour in some carb cleaner and start riding more often.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
mcintyre_aerospace

You don't necessarily need to take the tank off, just take the little hose off the carb and let it drain on prime, it should get most of the gas out, you may have to add a little more a then drain then put all new gas in, a whole tak mind you, should make the bad gas ratio really low.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #6
Tru5abi

How do i go about draining the carb?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

See the link below in regards to draining the carb. See section 4-6. I would just loosen the float chamber and let the old gas drain out that way. Then, once you get everything hooked back up, start from the prime position as mentioned above by others.

http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=30

While Mac is right about not NEEDING to remove the tank, it will give you more space to work with and your hands won't feel so cramped. Plus, it only takes two bolts and 30 seconds.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Tru5abi

do i have to remove the carb before draining or can it be done while its still in place
Old 03-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It would be easier to just pull it off.

PRINT OUT THE PAGES RELATING TO THE CARB FROM THE DOWNLOADABLE MANUAL

All you have to do it loosen the rubber carb mounting boot, unhook 1 or 2 rubber hoses and pull the throttle cables off of the side. Once you get out there, you will see how easy it is. Once you get the carb off, don't take the carb apart. Just loosen the float bowl and drain out whatever is in there. Then, hook it back up and try to get your bike started using the methods listed above.

You haven't hinted at any mechaical problems yet, so this shouldn't be a problem once you get fresh gas back in there and get the engine pumping again.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
Tru5abi

Im going to try it, i'll let you know what happens, do i gotta apply loc tight upon reassambley