Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
sportpsyc

HELP! Any ideas about this problem?

I just went and started my 2001 bike to go for a ride. It made it about 75 feet running fine, and suddenly started missing and running TERRIBLY. It sounds like it is only firing about every 8 strokes rather than every 4. It idles perfectly--only when you twist the throttle does it start. So I turn around and idle it back in 1st gear, and check this out! Whn I put it in neutral, it runs great--clutch in or out. But the moment I put it in any gear, even sitting still with the clutch in, you cannot rev ethe engine. It is 100% predictable and related to putting it into gear--but not moving or being under a load. Neutral=perfect, gear=will not run over idle. What in the hell is this, does anyone know? It did this once when the battery was dead and it was trying to run off it's own electrical output (did you notice how I avoided that one, Easy Rider?), but then it wouldn't rev at all under any circumstances, neutral or not. What relationship this thing has between the transmission and the electrical system is beyond me.... Man, and I really wanted to ride to work tomorrow. :cuss: Sigh....

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: HELP! Any ideas about this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpsyc
It did this once when the battery was dead and it was trying to run off it's own electrical output (did you notice how I avoided that one, Easy Rider?), ............................What relationship this thing has between the transmission and the electrical system is beyond me....
Only one thing would logically cause that...........but not really.

Side stand switch tries to KILL the engine when the stand is down (or the switch THINKS it is) and the transmission is put in gear. So, I think the sidestand switch is shot (maybe needs adjustment) but if that's the case, why doesn't it die completely? :??:

You have a DEMON bike that refuses to DIE !!!

Good luck. This one could be tricky !! :roll:
Old 06-09-2008, 12:57 AM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Maybe I missed it in your post, sport, but can you rev it fine in neutral?

Old 06-09-2008, 01:24 AM   #4
sportpsyc

Patrick--yes, it revs absolutely fine in neutral. With the clutch in, if I rev it to about 2000 rpm and shift up or down into gear, it immediately starts missing and falls on it's face. No backfiring, just only fires about every 8-12 revolutions--enough to keep the reciprocating mass moving, but that's about it. Holding on the throttle, the moment I shift back to neutral, it goes right back to perfect.

Easy, I think you are right--I need an exorcist, not a mechanic. The (bad) good news is, it was the 2006 bike that had carb problems, and it is running like a champ after the old Seafoam treatment. This bike was perfect until...now. Oh, and BTW--the PO on this bike took the kickstand switch off long ago--so fortunately we can eliminate that at least. This has to be some sort of internal electrical issue. I am almost wondering if there is a short somewhere, which may have been what killed the battery the last time I rode the bike. I just put the new battery on it, drove it for about 2 miles, parked it, and now I have this. Just to eliminate the battery, I put a charger on it tonight until it was fully charged, and it is still doing it.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Right off hand, the only thing I can think of that acknowledges anything but neutral is the indicator light. Maybe you have a short in the wiring up front that's crashing the ignition system. Or maybe a fuse? Any lighting issues when you shift into gear?

Old 06-09-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
sportpsyc

I just pissed off my wife by going into the garage and firing it up (she something about needing beauty sleep or something like that-hummmm...). The headlight is still fine throughout all situations, as is the green neutral light, BUT low and behold, the turn signals are acting REALLY funny--they are blinking at about 3 times faster than normal-both left and right. There is some kind of electrical issue. There are too many things stacking up on the side of a bare wire short somewhere--hyper-blinking turn signals, permanently dead battery, engine ignition problems. But where...where... hmmm. If it is a mechanical issue--I am 100% comfortable with fixing it. Electrical, however, makes me want to commit combination homicide/suicide.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
patrick_777

Are all your signals and wiring stock?

A fast turn signal flash is a sign of a short, which believe it or not, can be caused by a burned-out (or not yet burned-out) bulb, possibly even the neutral bulb. I would say get out there and start pulling bulbs, but the indicators are a total pain to replace/pull out of those little boots. Trust me, I just changed my turn indicator.

Either way, with those flashers freaking out, it's probably a good bet that it's not mechanical. You might check all the fuses and then any "obvious" cuts or pinches in the handlebar wiring harness(es?). Make sure you didn't have something vibrate out or come loose.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:00 AM   #8
patrick_777

Could be a ground interrupt like mentioned in this thread.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:32 AM   #9
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Could be a ground interrupt like mentioned in this thread.
I second this. Sounds like you might want to start tracing the wires and see what you can find.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpsyc
Oh, and BTW--the PO on this bike took the kickstand switch off long ago--so fortunately we can eliminate that at least.
That really isn't a surprise. THAT IS your problem. His modification has gone bad somehow.
I STRONGLY recommend that you put it back to stock........since it appears that it's not going to run the way it is.

Suzuki does some......strange.....things with their electronics. There is some anti-theft logic in the ignition module that looks for a very specific resistance in the ignition switch. If it's not there, it won't fire. There might be something like that for the kickstand too but I really suspect that the previous mod. was just done sloppy and a splice has corroded, or something similar.

Can you still contact the PO to find out exactly what he did?

[Added later:]

The turn signal problem is likely a bad (loose) ground somewhere.
That might also allow the engine to keep running when it should die because of the sidestand switch.
If you can't get help from the PO, it might have to go to the shop.