Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
cfsmith

Howdy from Central Arkansas

Guys and gals,

Just posted on the technical forum and figured I'd better introduce myself. I've been lurking for long enough =D

I'm a new rider in Central Arkansas area and I picked up an '06 GZ250 for $1,750. No major cosmetic problems (small dent in the tank, that's it), a brake pad replacement, and I was good to go! Been running all up and down Little Rock and the surrounding areas and loving every minute of it.

It's a simple black bike with nothing special but I'll post a pic or two sometime this weekend. Hoping to get to know anyone in the area and benefit from the bike expertise of the forum.

See y'all,

-c

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: Howdy from Central Arkansas

Welcome, c!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
music man

Where at in central arkansas exactly, and welcome to the site.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
cfsmith

Whoops, forgot my name - Charlie is what I am, hence the -c

I'm up a little north from Little Rock, in some beautiful Cabot countryside (just starting to be appreciated by riding the GZ as I've never really taken a leisure drive before my bike!!). I toil 5 days a week in the capital city and commute using the local highways unless I'm running late, which seems to often be the case.

-c
Old 04-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Welcome. Thanks for introducing yourself.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
music man

Dude you are crazy driving on the Little rock freeways on the GZ, or any bike for that matter.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
cfsmith

Heh, well, maybe I am. My planned route is surface roads and highways until North Little Rock, but when I'm late I jump on 440, stick to the right, and coast into work. I hate to admit it, but the commute cuts down from one hour to about 40 minutes with freeway use. I leave early enough that there's little traffic, and the freeway's nice and new so no unpredictable shifts in concrete or anything.

It really ain't bad, but my daily drive to home includes 0 freeway - we've got some pretty countryside even close to the capital, I like sticking around there. Even saw me a bald eagle flying overhead with a caught fish the other day - awesome sight that reminded me that I gotta keep my eyes on the road

-c
Old 04-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

I'm not familiar with the freeways out in Arkansas, but... ours are also a bit hair raising with the GZ. At first, I was scared to death of riding on them, but about three months in, a 75 mile, three hours plus slog, from traffic light to traffic light, cured me of my fear and ever since I've been on them when I gotta go more than 5 or ten miles. I see lots of reports of bikes down on them, right along where I ride, but, supposedly, it is safer bombing along the four-lane at 65 than it is in city traffic. I have a bigger bike I use now for most of my freeway riding, but the GZ is the only one I will split lanes with.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
cfsmith

Alan, I was the same way until I realised I might be late for work. I gunned it, hung on for dear life... and never really looked back. Freeway driving no longer concerns me.

I may have to look into getting a slightly larger commuter bike, though. While I'm really liking the GZ for lazy Sunday jaunts, the Monday-morning rush needs to be handled as well... not quite sure what I should do, really.

-c
Old 04-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
alanmcorcoran

You'll get lots of advice on here. At least half or more of us have eventually gotten something instead of or in addition to the GZ. Dupo has a Honda Shadow and Water's girlfriend has a Suzuki M50 - both good step-ups to look at when you get to that stage. I made a deal with myself to get 3000 miles under my belt first. With your commute, they may happen pretty quick.

A heavy bike handles a lot better on the freeway and feels better in the wind. I eventually want to do some medium distance touring so I went for a good freeway bike and kept the GZ for in-town.