Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
thepaintbox

If the bike isn't charging correctly, how many miles?

If the bike isn't charging correctly, how many miles would I get before all was lost?

I'm inclined to think it's an issue with this new battery (6 weeks old, started farting a week ago) because the bike seems to start better if it's been running for a while. I imagine a bike that isn't charging well would have the opposite issue. If she sits overnight I'm inclined to say a brief prayer before hitting the little button.

No noticeable change in performance once she's going.

Sorry if I'm poking a dead horse.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: If the bike isn't charging correctly, how many miles?

There are so many variables here that I think it's pretty unrealistic to get an accurate "miles" assessment. Here are a couple of observations/notes you might find useful:

1) All GZ's "start better" when they have been running a while. Probably has more to do with the engine being warm, fuel not evaporated, Oil hot, etc. than the charge on the battery.
2) I recommend you learn how to push start the bike. If your battery is iffy, it's a skill that you will need.
3) Others are going to ask you how you charged up the new battery. You can get a decent battery charger relatively cheaply. Charge the thing overnight on the low setting.
4) Overnight should not be a problem unless you live in some arctic climate. Even a week shouldn't really be a problem. I've let mine go a month, and it was definitely harder to start, but I still got it going without a push start.

How far are you going once you ride it? Have you added any "accessories" that use juice? Did you replace the headlight bulbs with brighter ones?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
thepaintbox

Nothing on the bike has been modified in terms of electronics.

The battery was charged a few days ago. I've taken two 10mile trips and two 3mile trips since then.

Would a bad charge from the bike cause the bike to not run after a distance?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
mrlmd1

Can you clarify what you are talking about? I'm having a hard time following you. What do you mean by "a new 6 week old battery started farting a week ago"? Why do you think it's a battery problem?

If you're having trouble starting it after it sits overnight - like how do you mean? It turns over but won't catch? It turns over very slowly?

First off, most GZ's need a little choke to start them off if they've been sitting even overnight. Once they're run and warmed up, they'll start right up without the choke even hours later. Are you using the choke in the morning, even a little?
Answer that, then we'll get to a possible battery issue.

By the way, if you had a bad battery you probably wouldn't be able to start the bike more than a few times, then it would be dead enough to not turn over the starter motor, even if you went our for "a while".
Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
thepaintbox

I bought the battery 6 weeks ago and it worked perfectly up to a week ago.

The bike does turn over, but very slowly. It takes a bit for it to catch.

Yes, i do use the choke to cold start. I've been riding the bike almost every day and she always starts pretty much right on the button (that is, until now).

I've gotten it to start every time I tried, about 5 or 6 times since the issues started.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaintbox
The bike does turn over, but very slowly. It takes a bit for it to catch.
Well, as you suspected, something is clearly amiss.
Check the connections at BOTH ends of both the main cables first; one may just not be very tight.
THEN.....do you have a charger ??
Did you install the battery yourself?
Was it charged before installation?

Sounds like you need to charge it good once and then if the problem continues, you need to get both battery and charging tested.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
thepaintbox

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I don't have a charger, but I can get to one easily. I got the battery and it worked for a month. Then one day i was starting it to drive to the mechanic's and it was weak. he recharged it for me and it started to have the issue again about 36 hours.

I'm going to extend the thought that if the bike wasn't charging well I'd have not been able to start the bike by now. That is, I'd have worn it down already. I think it's charging but not holding onto the charge well.

And wouldn't a bad alternator/charge cause the bike to well...not really run after about 50 miles?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
mrlmd1

Bring the battery back to the mechanic or to a battery store - they will check it for free. Charge up the battery on a 2 amp charger for 6-8 hours, let it sit for 1/2 hr, then put it on a load tester. It will tell you if it's bad or not right there.

To simply check the bike's charging system, run it at mid throttle and measure the voltage at the battery terminals which is the easiest access point. If you're getting somewhere around 14 V, the charging system's fine.

I would bet you have a bad battery, and this is probably the 10th time on here I say this -- A new sealed AGM battery, which is all you can get now for a bike, MUST BE FULLY CHARGED BEFORE INITIAL USE, or it will fail prematurely, usually very quickly, and not be able to absorb a full charge to it;s designed capacity. Do not let the dealer fill up a new battery with acid, tell you to let it sit for 2 hours, then use it - it will fail, guaranteed, unless you fully charge it up first before use.
Loose battery connections can cause this, as well as poor charging, but usually lead to total electrical failure which may be an intermittent problem, rather than what you are describing. Check out the battery.

Get yourself an inexpensive trickle charger just to have for emergencies or for winter storage. They all come with wires that can be left permanently attached to the battery and hidden away. with a quick disconnect plug on them to attach to the charger without having to open up the battery box,
Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaintbox
And wouldn't a bad alternator/charge cause the bike to well...not really run after about 50 miles?
No, not necessarily. It may not have failed completely; might still be charging but just not enough. Same for loose cables; same for battery. :cool:
Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
To simply check the bike's charging system, run it at mid throttle and measure the voltage at the battery terminals which is the easiest access point. If you're getting somewhere around 14 V, the charging system's fine.

A new sealed AGM battery, which is all you can get now for a bike,
Mmmmmm......really?? I find it rather hard to believe that the ONLY type of motorcycle battery you can get for ANY bike, GZ included, is AGM. Are you sure??

As for the charging system test, what you said is true......but the inverse may not be.

Have you put a meter on yours lately? I have found that modern voltage regulators are MUCH more sensitive than old ones and can better detect when charging is not needed. Both my GZ and the current Honda actually show a slightly higher voltage at idle than at mid-range engine speed.......when the battery is fully charged.

So, the point IS that if you do NOT get above 13V at mid-range engine speed, it doesn't necessarily mean that the charging system is not right. You almost have to run the battery down a bit to get a good test.......at least in my recent experience.