Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-03-2007, 06:12 AM   #1
Badbob

Helmet Locks

The Suzuki helmet locking system works and thats the best I can say for it. I have found some alternatives.

My favorite is the gun lock.

Simply slip the cable through the D ring and around any handy part of the motorcycle where it can be easily removed. These come in several different lengths (all short) and can be used to secure otherriding gear to your bike. Here is the best part. You can get them free from organizations that push trigger locks. However, the best way to get one is to buy a new gun.

The second method I use is the Handlebar-Mount Helmet-Holding Stud. These are available from JC Whitneys where I got mine and many other places on line Searching Google for the bold thext will find them for you.

Keep the padlock on you key ring. Be very aware of where your shield is or you may scratch it. You may also want to get a helmet lock extender while your at it.

I use booth o f thes methods to secure my helmets but I much prefer the gun lock.

I tried combination locks but found they were much to difficult to get unlocked in the dark.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Gunlock is my preferred method for locking things to my bike.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 08-03-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
prof_stack

You can also get a lock big enough to fit around the handlebar and then attach the helmet D-ring to the lock.

On my bike I use a normal (smaller size, actually) size Master lock, with key, that fits through the holes in the heel guards. Not much baggage there.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
Gunlock is my preferred method for locking things to my bike.
They do work good and they are cheap.

I've been considering trying to get several all keyed alike to carry on the bike.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:16 AM   #5
davtnn

helmet lock

Here the Sheriffs Office gives out free gun locks .. just looped it around the handle bars and its as secure as it can be.. (free beats expensive and inovative )

Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
Badbob

I found that some of the gun locks need a bit of lubrication to get them to latch easy. I tried oil but it seems to get rubbed off quickly. White lithium grease seems to get the job done. You only need a little.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Lithium grease eh. I know I used to have some. Have 2 of those locks and they both hang up a lot. Also used them for extensions when the bungie was not long enough to secure a fairly large carton on the VStrom. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
happyhobo

my little "maudie" has a handy dandy little hook under seat on right hand side....you only need to remove the seat...hook your helmet on with the D-ring on chin strap.....replace seat...walla....your helmet is locked on your bike
Old 10-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #9
Badbob

I don't like the under seat hooks because: Its a PTIA to get to the under the seat hook especially if the bike is loaded. The D-rings on the helmet tend to scrape the paint off the hooks and you get rust. Some helmets are hard to hook on to them. If you park in a sandy area and it rains not only can you get water in you helmet but sand gets splattered on/in your helmet. You might come back and find a cat sleeping in your helmet.

My preferred method is to put the helmet on the sissy bar and lock it with the gun lock. This gives me a good use for the useless backrest.