Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #21
Water Warrior 2

Re: The bike that inspired me

Jazz, counter steering is the best and only way to get around a curve safely. Counter steering(CS) safely leans the bike. Right hand curve ahead of you....push gently on the right hand grip and the bike will lean a bit and you are done. It does take practice to be smooth and on top of your input so don't think you will ever just go like the dickens into an unfamiliar curve with no drama. The alternative is trying to remain upright and steering like a car.......not gonna happen without mishap in most cases.
Have an old guy friend here who rode upright for 2 years and fought the bike at lowered speeds in the curves. Some one convinced him to slowly play with counter steering. The results were "remarkable" in his words. Mike now rides more and really enjoys the curves with an 1100 Yamaha cruiser.
Lynda had a hard time wrapping her mind around CS on her GZ. Then one day it clicked and look out her she come and there she goes. Lynda is almost a "Natural" rider in the twisties. Carves a far better line than I ever will whether she was on the GZ or her present M-50.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #22
alanmcorcoran

The bike that inspired me

Jazz, think I read about countersteering in both Proficient and a book I think was called Twist of the Wrist. At low speed, you can steer the bike like a car, but it doesn't work at high speed (you'll fall over from the centrifugal force). The trick is that turning in the opposite direction causes the front wheel to track (veer) to the opposite direction. At the same time, you lean over in the direction you are going. There is some debate over whether the countersteer causes the lean or the lean the countersteer, but in reality, it doesn't really matter. From my perspective, people know how to lean intuitively. I don't think most people even realize they are countersteering too. The common method of getting beginners to get the hang of it is to tell them to push on the bar on the side they want to go. This automatically forces a lean/countersteer. It's basically the same as riding a bicycle, only somewhat faster. Twist of the wrist helped me a lot because it emphasized and explained the role of centrifugal force - especially how it affects cornering. The counter intuitive takeaway from it is: you can corner better with the throttle Always on through the curve. Throttle affects the suspension (compresses the rear) and letting of the throttle reduces your traction and also causes the bike to want to straighten up.

I think it's best just to ride around for the first few 1000 miles and get some low speed experience, focus on watching out for cars, shifting, braking. After six months you'll be on a better position to focus on improved cornering technique. Try and do too much and you'll be thinking too much instead of riding and that can be a distraction.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #23
jazzhunt

Oh, I get that Alan, no problem! Pondering the theory is just a bit of mental stimulation; actually worrying about it when riding is not likely at all [At least not in the initial months]I completely understand that I am as a raw a novice as I can be and my primary focus is to listen to those wise enough to have survived riding for 30 or 40 years, pay money to get professional training and practice, practice, practice. I actually know people who have ridden daily for 40 years and never had an accident. Sure there may be an element of luck there but, as in most things, to a large extent you make your own luck and anyone with that kind of record should at least be paid some attention!
Now, back to the theory for a second...One of the many cars i have owned was a Mazda MX6 Turbo which had 4 wheel steering. One of the cool things about their system was that at walking speed the rear wheels would turn in the opposite direction as the front wheels but at anything over about 5mph the wheels would turn in the same direction, allegedly to help high speed lane changes. It's interesting to me that much the same kind of thing applies to bike counter steering - one way at low speeds but the opposite once you're above walking speed.
And, BTW, I have just ordered a copy of Proficient, as there are sure enough hints around this site

Old 05-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #24
jazzhunt

And, just as quick aside...
I have done a search but found nothing...
I'm in the middle of rectifying years of neglect on the little geezer and was wondering if you guys have suggestions about cleaning the seat?
A couple of obvious things crossed my mind. 1/ I would guess the best way to keep the seat clean is to polish it with the seat of your pants every day but that hasn't happened on this bike for a few years and 2/ ArmourAll or anything else that is likely to make it slippery isn't very smart :roll:
I'd appreciate any tips...
Old 05-06-2011, 04:03 AM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Neglected seat. First thing that pops in my mind is a bucket of water with a mild soap. Soft bristled brush of some sort and enjoy. The seat is vinyl so you won't hurt it. Also you are right about Armorall. Never ever put any finish on a seat that will make it slippery.
Got a good lesson with the stuff a few years back. A friend cleaned up his old pick-up. Then he applied Armorall to every surface in the cab including the door panels and rubber floor mats. Vinyl seats included. After 3 tries I was able to get into the cab without slipping and sliding about. After the truck started to move I felt like an insane piece of Flubber.