Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
jamesh

Odd noise

Just got a 2005 a few weeks ago.

Now that it's warmed up and I've actually been riding it I've noticed an odd hum to the engine -- it kind of ramps up and down, but doesn't really seem connected to the revs...

Here's a video clip where you can hear it, its quite audible. Notice when I rev the engine a bit higher it seems to go away, then when I stop, it comes back!

Is it something to do with the carbs/air filter?

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
GZ250

Re: Odd noise

I have similar noise or sound, its not hum, it is like vibration from a metal plate or some part that is loose inside. first I thought it was the exhaust cover as it comes from somewhere near the engine, but it was not the exhaust cover. I do not know myself what it is but in my case it is not constant, it comes at certain speed (revs) and goes away. and I am not sure it is coming from right or left side. the bike runs great and no problems so far.

In your case I do not see it is going away, I can hear in the whole clip only that when you rev up the engine noise takes over. one more thing, is your idle too high?

lets see if we get an answer, I am planning to take my bike to the shop this Saturday and will reply after that.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
GZ250

Re: Odd noise - the exhaust cover

is the CULPRIT

I went to the shop and asked the mechanic to have a look. he told me that this sound looks new and is like a rattle. for a minute we could not figure out and then he said it could be the exhaust cover but that looks ok. so I put my shoe real hard on the cover and the rattle disappeared. i removed my shoe and it came back so it is the cover. now i will fix it. be careful when holding the exhaust with gloves or use a shoe with good sole.

i have no issue with the engine and if you do not have any issue then it should be the cover. let us know what do you find.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
chandlerbingfl

IMHO it sounds more like "harmonics" than anything else.....

And it sounds like that while in motion? Just looking for some clues...but I do think it's due to harmonics..

chandlerbingfl
Old 05-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
tudorv

Holy smokes! Turn down the idle speed, man! Like WAY down! Sounds like it's about to blow.

As for the sound.. i hear it also sometimes in my bike. Dunno what it is. If you find out, please post your findings here..

Thanks!