Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
FreyGrimrod

Drum Brake & Air Filter

Could anyone give me a heads up for what to expect roughly for a cost if I take the bike into a dealer to get the rear drum replaced about to roll over to 7k miles and seeming pretty well worn. And probably time for the air filter aswell blown it out once but why not get a new one at this point. (I can put the airfilter in myself if they are going to charge a huge service fee). My current lack of a stand for the bike (gotta build one from the how too's on here limits me from replacing the drum not to mention I've never delt with drums before only pads. Thanks everyone.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Sarris

Your Issues

The manual says clean every 2500 miles and replace every 7500 miles for the air cleaner. The element is expensive, but easy to replace on your own.

The rear brake should be cleaned and adjusted but probably does not need replacement. I've got over 12500 miles and have mine serviced every 2500. My rear brake pads are just fine. You should check the service manual on the site as you can easily adjust the rear brake yourself (if so inclined).

I replaced my front disk pads at 7500 miles as well as the OEM tires.

Hope this helps.

:rawk:
Old 07-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Re: Drum Brake & Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyGrimrod
Could anyone give me a heads up for what to expect roughly for a cost if I take the bike into a dealer to get the rear drum replaced about to roll over to 7k miles and seeming pretty well worn. And probably time for the air filter aswell blown it out once but why not get a new one at this point. (I can put the airfilter in myself if they are going to charge a huge service fee). My current lack of a stand for the bike (gotta build one from the how too's on here limits me from replacing the drum not to mention I've never delt with drums before only pads. Thanks everyone.
I need a little clarification of your problem. Why do you think the rear drum is worn out ? What are the symptoms that lead you to replacing the drum ? Please understand I am not picking on you or pointing and giggling but this sounds like very excessive wear in my opinion.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
FreyGrimrod

Rear drum probably does just need to be readjusted then. I'll dig through the service manual some more on first inspection the "wear indicator" procedure for the rear drum seemed to note it was past its prime.

And if I don't need to lift the bike to do so I can likely complete the task myself. Thanks for the info folks.

(oh and yes thnx for the tip I went slightly early due to some dry rot cracking starting on the inner tred of the tires and taking it on alot of 300 mile journeys for peace of mind and replaced the OEM tires and front brake pads near the end of last season)
Old 07-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Badbob

Re: Drum Brake & Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyGrimrod
I have over 24,000 miles on my rear brake and its no where near worn out. I use it all the time.