Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
alazlam

gas in oil...next steps?

Hello,

I bought a '99 GZ250 last week for $1000. Everything checked out pretty good. Stopped for gas last night for the first time and it wouldn't start after. Crankcase smelt of oil so I search around here to find answers. I checked the peacock and it is functioning fine. Then I took the carbs apart and cleaned them. There were some small black flecks floating around from about .5mm to 2mm in size. Right now I have the oil/gas drained out and I'm waiting on an oil filter and fuel filter before trying to start it again. Is there anything else I should do/consider?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazlam View Post
Hello,

I bought a '99 GZ250 last week for $1000. Everything checked out pretty good. Stopped for gas last night for the first time and it wouldn't start after. Crankcase smelt of oil so I search around here to find answers. I checked the peacock and it is functioning fine. Then I took the carbs apart and cleaned them. There were some small black flecks floating around from about .5mm to 2mm in size. Right now I have the oil/gas drained out and I'm waiting on an oil filter and fuel filter before trying to start it again. Is there anything else I should do/consider?
Also check air filter & air box for fuel.....Some SeaFoam in fuel would be a good idea when you restart her.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:51 AM   #3
alazlam

I have air filter on the way too. It was slightly damp but no standing liquid. I will look into SeaForm too. I remember seeing it at the shop nearby.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
alazlam

Update time...

I got the new filters in today. Installed them both, filled her up with oil. Checked 5 times to make sure it was in the correct fill line. And it started and hummed along just fine!

For 5 minutes. Then it died again and now it refuses to start.

Ideas?

I thought originally the peacock was fine. If I unplug the fuel hose nothing drips out unless I switch it to prime where it pours out. Could it still be the problem? or part of it?

I've read some other threads now with similar issues. I guess it could be the float in the carb? I could buy the rebuild kit with the seals and float next?

Last edited by alazlam; 11-25-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
blaine

Petcock seems to be working fine.....Sounds like float needle is still not seating properly.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:55 PM   #6
wacio

Does it run OK on "prime". If yes its petcock membrane or vacuum hose.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:44 AM   #7
alazlam

Nope. Doesnt even start on prime. I will report back on Friday or Saturday next week after I replace the float.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #8
spldart

Fresh after dying....
Is the spark plug wet and smell of gas.
Does the plug hole smell of gas?
Old 11-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #9
alazlam

Success! I received the carb rebuild kit today and replaced all the seals. She purrs just fine now.

Next issue: Starter switch doesn't work and I suspect wiring is the issue. At first it sometimes worked and then sometimes didn't work. Now it doesn't work at all. I can still start it if I bypass the solenoid though. But the solenoid is new so I'm 99% sure its not the problem. Battery is new too as the old one wouldn't hold a charge anymore. I did take the starter switch apart and clean all the contacts as well.

(should I just make a new thread?)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:22 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Stick to this thread so we have a running history of the bike and what you have done.

Have you checked to see if there is a clutch switch for the starter? It is a switch that operates to complete the starter circuit when the clutch is pulled in. It just may be a loose wire on the left hand clutch perch.

Also check the side stand switch and clean/lube it. It has the duties of not allowing the engine to start when in gear with the sidestand down.