Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 11-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Sarris

GZ Trike Kit

Hey, I going out with a small woman (5'-3", 135 lbs) and she wants to ride but failed the MSF course for a variety of reasons. One being that the dealer uses the Buell Blast as the course bikes, and they are way too much bike for this woman. So... in looking into a trike for her, I found a trike conversion kit for the GZ that is manufactured in Hudson, FL just a few miles from my home. This looks like it's going to be her way to go.

GZ Trike

(Me personally, I'd ditch the original GZ rear fender and the trike kit fenders. Then I'd add a barrel shaped leather bag wtih studs below the seat)

I also come to find out that Florida now requires an MSF certified beginners course for a Florida endorsement, but they also have added a three wheel vehicle endoersement as well. The motorcycle endorsement includes three wheel vehicles, but the three wheel endorsement doen't include two wheeled vehicles.

:chop:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: GZ Trike Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
So... in looking into a trike for her, I found a trike conversion kit for the GZ that is manufactured in Hudson, FL just a few miles from my home. This looks like it's going to be her way to go.
IF and ONLY IF her problem was keeping the thing balanced while manuvering, then this might solve your rather unique set of circumstances. The potential problem being that the clutch, shifting and brakes will be essentially the same whether 2 wheels or 3. Add to that the extra hundred pounds or so for the conversion............well, I hope you will understand if I just say there is something fundamentally wrong about making a bike that small into a 3-wheeler.

Did she ever get to actually ride your GZ? How did she do? Has she considered a scooter? Some of them little devils can out run me on the GZ.
(I know you have told pretty much the whole story before but my memory is shorter than my.......mmmm.....well it's really short! )
Old 11-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

I'd say it would be a lot cheaper to just retake the MSF class somewhere that uses the GZ.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Sarris

She's tried twice on mine, and she injured her knee the second time out. She has no problem with the operational part, although she really would like closer reach or adjustable reach levers. It's more a balance and weight issue. I also should mention she's had a hip replacement as well.

BTW, the Florida instruction class locally has purchased six GZ trikes for their 3 wheeled vehicle endorsement class.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:30 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Sarris, I like the wee trike but I think your Lady should try the GZ again. She is not too small to handle it. You can shorten up the handle bar reach with up and back brackets or just back brackets. This should allow a better grip and make the levers easier to work. Put the rear shocks on their lowest setting and raise the fork tubes half an inch in the front end. Might make the bike a little less intimidating for a newbie.
The training she got on the other bike must have been terrifying. Far too much power IMHO. A tame 125 would be ideal to learn on too. She has to overcome the bad experiences and learn on a more forgiving bike to gain confidence.
Comment on the trike conversion................. Yipes is that far from cheap. Not even close to reasonable. Read through the whole site and I applaude these guys for their design but way too costly IMO. The more you read the more it costs. For the cost of the bike and complete conversion most people could drive their smaller cage a long long way.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
BTW, the Florida instruction class locally has purchased six GZ trikes for their 3 wheeled vehicle endorsement class.

Well, that puts you in an excellent position to get us some first hand opinions !! :biggrin:

The thing that would really concern me would be top speed, which would HAVE to be down some with the wider body and extra weight.

Another concern would be if it has enough total weight to keep it on the road after a hard bump (big pothole, hit by only 1 back wheel). The 3 wheel layout is inherently unstable, which is why you can't buy a new 3-wheel ATV in the states anymore.

Seems to me like the market would be fairly small but you might be one that would just love it.
Me too maybe in another 10 years or so !!!
Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Sarris, I like the wee trike but I think your Lady should try the GZ again.
That's easy for YOU to say; you haven't had a hip replacement. And I'm guessing have never had a bike fall on you because you are too small to handle it either. :skull:

IOW, in this specific case, I think you are wrong.

Have any experience with cats and their dislike of water ??
Know what happens if you try to force a cat to go for a swim ??
It claws the crap out of you.

Similar to what happens when one tries to force a wife to do something she doesn't want to do.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
trykemike

Hey Sarris

1 I like the tryke kit
2 I do think it is too expensive for my budget
3 Tryke are very safe look at my name I have 2 off-road honda 3 wheelers which I have driven
everwhere that quads can go except deep water for 15 years now no issues Heck even my timid wife has rode as a passenger on several long trips . If you ride with your head on they are safe.
By the way the 200 cc tryke I ride will out run most quads in tight bush.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
Graydog

I say if it will get her beside you instead of behind you...go for it! I have friends in their 70's now that only ride trikes. I plan to do the same when it comes my time. One has a Can Am discussed on the "other bikes" forum on this board. He loves the thing (after his Harley of course....but then the paint job on his Harley cost more than the Can Am did!) The trunk in front is huge and very functional. Trikes have their place and for some people they are the only way to go. But that's just my opinion. :cool: