Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 04-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
I love the ad bulletin...

Picked up an ad bulletin today to see what kinda bikes were in it. I found:

1993 Yamaha Virago 750 - $1500
2001 Honda Shadow ACE - $3500
1984 Goldwing Aspencade - Best offer
1978 Goldwing - $3000 OBO
1985 Vulcan (cc?) - $1900 OBO
2002 Suzuki Marauder 800 - $2500 (below NADA!)

Part of me really wants to get an older Goldwing for some reason, while another part is really leaning towards the cruiser. Finally, there's a tiny part of me that's looking at an older Ninja 1100 as a good interstate bike.

Bah! So many choices, and unfortunately I can't choose them all!

So what say ye all? Have any opinions on the bikes (not opinions on what I should get, mind you )? I'm not really seriously considering the Yamaha since I know the starters are prone to going bad just about every season.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
music man

Re: I love the ad bulletin...

Of all the ones you just listed, I like the 2002 Suzuki marauder 800 the best, of course you will not be spreading your wings very far considering the GZ and the Marauder 800 could be twins in the looks department, which may be why i like it so much.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
adrianinflorida

I was at a red light next to a guy on a Ninja 250 today, God it seemed like a slightly oversized scooter. Now an 1100, OTOH, no scooterism there.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
I was at a red light next to a guy on a Ninja 250 today, God it seemed like a slightly oversized scooter. Now an 1100, OTOH, no scooterism there.

:lol: an oversized scooter that will go 105, and do a wheelie
Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
dannylightning

well if you dont already have a sports bike and you have cruisers. the ninja may be a good choice.. i would prefer to stay away from older bikes but that is just me.

i dont know much about the marauder 800 but i set on a boulevard m-50 (i think that is a 800). it felt so much like the gz it was not funny, just a lot wider and with different bars. but over all it had almost the same exact feel as the gz..

Old 04-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Quote:

:lol: an oversized scooter that will go 105, and do a wheelie
It'll kick you in the ass, for sure, I'd just never realized how smally, physically, the Ninja 250 was.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

So, an update:

There's are a few bikes that popped up on Craigslist. One is a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 for what Dupo assures me is an EXCELLENT price. There's also a 1999 Yamaha V-Star 1100 listed. He's asking way more than the bike is worth, but its NADA (and KBB, for that matter) price is within my anticipated budget.

I've got a question... how much do aftermarket accessories REALLY increase the value of a 10 year old bike? Here's the ad, maybe you can tell me if his asking price is reasonable.

http://huntington.craigslist.org/mcy/1147329594.html
Old 04-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
So, an update:

There's are a few bikes that popped up on Craigslist. One is a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 for what Dupo assures me is an EXCELLENT price. There's also a 1999 Yamaha V-Star 1100 listed. He's asking way more than the bike is worth, but its NADA (and KBB, for that matter) price is within my anticipated budget.

I've got a question... how much do aftermarket accessories REALLY increase the value of a 10 year old bike? Here's the ad, maybe you can tell me if his asking price is reasonable.

http://huntington.craigslist.org/mcy/1147329594.html
in my opinion aftermarket parts only increase the value if those are the aftermarket parts you want, if thy are not the aftermarket parts you want or really care for i would say it makes to bike no more valuable to you. something is only worth what you are willing to pay for it. something may be worth a lot more to me than it is to you..

but you do got to figure the guy did spend a little money on those parts and would like to get some of that back. but i think that answer really depends o the person buying the bike.. so i guess the answer would be how much extra are you willing because it has those parts on it. are those parts worth paying a little more for the bike to you!!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
mrlmd1

If you wanted those accessories, figure out how much they'd cost you. Depreciate the ones already on the bike because of age, wear and tear, etc, by whatever percentage you want, and if the bike is in great shape, you can accept a reasonable amount higher price for the bike with the add-ons. If you did your research for the price of the bike, only you can tell if it's worth it, to you.
If you have an idea of what the basic bike is worth, you can easily figure out what he's adding on for all the extras.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
It'll kick you in the ass, for sure, I'd just never realized how small, physically, the Ninja 250 was.
Ever sat on a CBR600RR or a ZX6R? They're nearly the same size. The 08 250R is only 2" shorter, lengthwise, than the 650R.

The rear tire is, however, considerably smaller than the RR bikes and that alters the overall appearance pretty drastically.