Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
nacc26

First "long" ride

Took my bike out on Monday for my first real ride. Rode about thirty miles away. B/f and I went to lunch. Got my bike up to about 47. That is pretty fast for me. Got a little scared on the way home. Going thru a curve and an 18 wheeler was coming the other way......thought I was going to get run over by all 18 wheels....but I did fine. I even got my first biker wave. It was pretty cool.
Still a little gunshy about going fast and making turns, but each time I get on my bike I feel I am making progress and building my confidence.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
JWR

Re: First "long" ride

Motorcycle Safety Foundation?????

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
nacc26

I did take the class...but it doesn't teach you everything. I was in full control of my bike at all times.....it was just another first for me. I just need to work on picking up my speed. I can ride the back roads just fine. I was on that road for 60 miles round trip and that was the only time I had ridden that close to a big truck.
My first stop sign was the funniest. I am waiting to cross the road and b/f is like we can go now....no no no there is a car....he was like that car is 8 miles down the road. I am much better about that now. I have had my endorsement for 2 weeks, I think I am doing fine. I know my limits.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
New GZ250

Suggest you also stay away from any place 18 wheelers travel! You need to build up your confidence level and expertise. Don't push yourself, enjoy and take your time developing your skills. I agree about the MSF class, I took it, it taught me the basics but I had a lot more to learn. (Still learning!)

Take it easy!
Old 09-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
diffluere

The MSF course doesn't really teach you how to ride in traffic. For example, you know how cars at stoplights slowly edge up? It took me a few tries before I could slowly edge up too. And I was scared to make left-hand turns that require slowing/stopping in the middle of the road for a while (this is how I have to turn into my driveway, no turn lane).

For me, having another bike around helped a lot. I guess it made me feel less like every car was going to run me over. I think the first time I ever took my bike out on the 'real' road vs. little roads in my neighborhood, a semi made a left hand turn all the way across the road. Myself and another car had to stop, and (it was a four-lane road) then I had to drive past the semi. I thought for sure he was going to switch lanes and squish me!

After about 2 months of riding I feel like my skills are enough to get me out of MOST situations. I can tell who is going to pull out in front of me, I stay far behind cars coming up on stops, etc. I still avoid certain roads around town, especially during the rush hours. But I got over the scared 'everyone is about to kill me' feeling, and now I just think that 'some people are going to kill me' so I watch out for those people.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Good for you. A first long ride is special. Your first solo long ride will be special too. There is a feeling of accomplishment and adventure all in one. Long rides also teach you your staying power and help to prepare for the next ride. Wait till your first overnighter and can't find enough room to pack everything. Riding is very addictive and worth getting a little wet or cold on ocassion. This will teach you about wind chill factors, hyperthermia, long underwear and rain suits. Riding is learning to enjoy the elements without suffering. Always be prepared and just go for it.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
bonehead

Saddle time is the best teacher. Go out and waste gas, waste gas, waste gas....
Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
mrlmd1

Beg to differ with you - IMHO it's never a waste of gas to go out for a nice ride.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
bonehead

I stand corrected!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
dannylightning

don't worry, i make sure the coast is good and clear before i go threw the stop sign too, better safe than sorry. its a good habit to get into especially for a brand new rider, as you build up your riding skills and get to know your bike youll eventually feel more comfortable and not wait for the car that's 8 miles down the road. but it is good to be a little cautions especially now. 2 or 3 more weeks and i'm sure you'll probably have a really good feel for the bike and be much more comfortable on it.