Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Mercutio57

New Guy

Got my first bike-- a GZ250, of course-- a couple of months ago.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: New Guy

Hi Merc. Glad to have you join us here. Tell us more. Why you chose a GZ, color, year, mileage, all the stuff worth printing.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
5th_bike

....city or state, do you like it, have you taken it on rides or do you have it winterized now, etc.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Mercutio57

Having already decided to start with a 250 (in accordance with the conventional wisdom), it was just a matter of choosing which one.

Based on internet reviews it appeared to me that the GZ would be the best for me, although the Honda Rebel was also under consideration. What clinched it was walking into the dealership and actually seeing the GZ. In photos it didn't look so good to me; in real life I liked it immediately. Having already read all the positive views, it was just a question of how well it fit (I'm 5'9"). I put down a deposit that day, and ran out and got the learner's promit the following day.

As for winterizing, I have it on a battery tender and plan to ride, weather permitting, all year round. I'm on the end of Long Island, where we usually don't get much snow (this week excepted, of course!).
Old 12-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Mercutio57

PS: She's an '09, purchased new. So far she's stock, except for my having removed all of the stickers and emblems. About an hour ago the UPS guy dropped off an MC Enterprises engine guard, which I will be installing as soon as I can get to it. Now if only this snow would hurry up and melt away..!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Mercutio57

As for riding, I basically taught myself (with some expert advice). I took and passed the road test at the exact same time she was due for the first service, so my first licensed ride was from the test site to the shop! Since then I've managed to get in a little over 3000 miles so far, working on basic skills.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Merc, there is nothing like that new bike smell. When Lynda first saw her bike she just knew it was hers. Not quite new, 385 kms on the odometer and just a few months old. I had the pleasure of riding it home the next day. Lynda had never ridden a bike prior to getting the GZ. That was the late summer of 2006. In 2007 we rode half way across Canada and back. The GZ performed like the little champion it is meant to be. At the beginning of this year Lynda moved up to a new in the crate 2007 Suzuki M-50 V-twin. Lynda gives credit where credit is due. The GZ allowed her to develope and refine her skills with no mishaps or overwhelming moments due to too much weight or power. Ride safe.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
mrlmd1

A little unsolicited advice - you spent $4000+ on the bike, spend a few hundred on yourself and go take a MSF riding course. As good as you think you may be, you'll learn a lot and ride safer (plus get a discount on your insurance from most companies). There's nothing as good as learning it right, from the start, instead of having to unlearn bad habits. And get some safety gear, proper helmet, protected armored jacket, gloves, maybe riding pants (also good for the cold). There's nothing as important as protecting yourself and that way you can ride a lot longer. Good choice on first bike and welcome to here.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
A little unsolicited advice - you spent $4000+ on the bike, spend a few hundred on yourself and go take a MSF riding course. As good as you think you may be, you'll learn a lot and ride safer (plus get a discount on your insurance from most companies). There's nothing as good as learning it right, from the start, instead of having to unlearn bad habits. And get some safety gear, proper helmet, protected armored jacket, gloves, maybe riding pants (also good for the cold). There's nothing as important as protecting yourself and that way you can ride a lot longer. Good choice on first bike and welcome to here.

:2tup: :2tup: Excellant advice as always. Also, for the best reading and riding may I suggest picking up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough. He has spent a lifetime gaining experience and sharing it with other riders. Riding lessons and a copy of P. M. will be the best insurance you ever buy.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
Mercutio57

I couldn't take the MSF course initially because of some work-related scheduling issues that have since changed for me. Thus I will be able to take the course this coming year when the weather is more favorable.

That said, I don't want to give the impression that I was flying blind in all of this-- While teaching myself I used a copy of the MSF text, and in addition got coaching from a couple of seasoned and highly skilled riders. And, as I say, the MSF course itself will be taken in due season.

I am by nature extremely cautious, which indeed is a principle reason why it took me several decades to finally do this!