Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
pompidouche

Make my GZ250 sound like a Harley!

Not.

But my wife wants her bike to sound deeper and more throbby. She complains that it sounds like a lawn mower : / any help? Experience with different exhaust anybody?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
alantf

Re: Make my GZ250 sound like a Harley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompidouche
She complains that it sounds like a lawn mower
That's strange. They usually sound like sewing machines. :crackup
Old 09-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompidouche
Not.

But my wife wants her bike to sound deeper and more throbby. She complains that it sounds like a lawn mower : / any help? Experience with different exhaust anybody?
If you use a muffler that has a wider outlet,it will act like a megaphone and make the exhaust note a little throatier.(Check my avatar)
:2tup:

Old 09-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Gz Rider

Old 09-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Muffler Swap How-To: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19

Old 12-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
lenkf

Sorry, late arrival to the thread. In current California law, you CAN'T mess with intake or exhaust mods or suffer whims of any minor legal inspection for any minor offense. Even dumb ol former Gov Arnold signed a bill in CA to diminish noise from motos due to 2-percenter loud HD riders pis*ing off citizens. Sadly, some riders can only distinguish themselves with loud noise since they have nothing useful to offer to society. As a 20+ year bicycle rider, I can't tell you how many times loud motos have blasted my ears with no protection from an air conditioned cager with windows rolled up Really ruins the mood of enjoying scenery and nature. Yah, even bicycle riders have a right to enjoy 2-3 wheel travel.

More states are adopting serious noise moto laws. Make sure your exhaust mods meet local requirements to avoid fines
Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Gz Rider

Old 12-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
Jvacustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkf
Sorry, late arrival to the thread. In current California law, you CAN'T mess with intake or exhaust mods or suffer whims of any minor legal inspection for any minor offense. Even dumb ol former Gov Arnold signed a bill in CA to diminish noise from motos due to 2-percenter loud HD riders pis*ing off citizens. Sadly, some riders can only distinguish themselves with loud noise since they have nothing useful to offer to society. As a 20+ year bicycle rider, I can't tell you how many times loud motos have blasted my ears with no protection from an air conditioned cager with windows rolled up Really ruins the mood of enjoying scenery and nature. Yah, even bicycle riders have a right to enjoy 2-3 wheel travel.

More states are adopting serious noise moto laws. Make sure your exhaust mods meet local requirements to avoid fines
Good post. I have to wonder though if you took the exhaust off the GZ entirely if it would be that loud?
yes it is, I have done this and it is too loud, I had the bike straight piped and baffled and shorty header and no header. all i have to say is the stock muffler is restrictive but not restrictive enough to greatly reduce hp of the small engine. The new pipe i have on it has created more problems with my neighbors and have also cost me more money due to the baffling getting blown to bits by the thumper, i have tried steel wool and hi temp fiberglass wrap and bot have came out my next attepmt is going to be a hybrid of those two materials wrapped in bailing wire. maybe that will stay, however with the baffles out the pipe is "poppy" not throaty... the baffle brings the treble down in the resonance. I have it baffle removed and my uncle could still hear my bike for almost a full mile. I do think that the emgo shorty that I bought is a nice pipe as long as you can keep baffling on it to keep the noise down. It sounds like a deep throaty 1 cyl motorcycle. You can definetely tell the difference between it and a two cylinder.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
cayuse

Great report JVA!
One of my neighbours rides by every now and then on his KLR and it sounds deeper because it's a 650, but there is no mistaking that it's a single cylinder thumper.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA