Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 11-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
lenkf

First oil change at 600 miles

My 2009 just hit 600 miles so was time for first oil change. Local Suzuki store had filters for $5 and change so I got 2. Also got 2 o-rings that are behind the filter just in case, but didn't have to use one.

It was tricky to loosen the oil drain plug and none of my tools would work due to the odd angle. Lucky the spark plug tool in the OEM tool kit worked great. The bolt was really tight and I bent the levering tool I used with the spark plug tool, but it finally budged.

The oil filter cover was stuck and suddenly broke free with fingernail pressure. Of course that dripped oil all over the engine, frame, exhaust and ground Next time shouldn't be so bad and I'll know to have more paper towels at the ready! The o-rings, small and large, were still pliable and in tact so I didn't need replacements.

After buttoning up the engine, I poured a liter of oil in the engine, then slowly poured a little more at a time until I got the oil to the middle of the oil level glass. I started and ran the engine for a minute to allow the filter to fill up. Forgot to replace the filler hole so had a little mess to clean up. Rechecked the oil level with the bike balanced. I stopped when the level was just below "F" with the bike balanced.

Bike runs a bit smoother with new oil.

Lenkf

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
blaine

Re: First oil change at 600 miles

A job well done.I had my G.Z 2 1/2 years and 30,000 km.Never once did i need to replace either o-rings,and I changed the oil every 5000 km.
:cool:

Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Dave Dark

Good job on your first oil change on your GZ.

I did mine a couple of months ago. I freaked out when all that oil leaked from the filter all over my bike. I thought I had done something wrong!

Keep up the good work!!!

Dave

Old 11-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Congrats!

I would recommend a small metric socket set. Any local home improvement store or auto parts store should have something suitable.
If you have some luggage on the bike, I would store it there. Or, if you want to go old school, you can take out just the important sockets, wrap them in a cloth amd store them under your seat.

You really need some tools on the bike, in case of a break down or some other calamity.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Oh yeah. Gotta have tools for the road. When Lynda was on her trip in early September the windshield started to come loose from high speed and buffeting at 140 KPH. No problem with a plastic freezer bag of tools to fit most of the hardware on the bike. The tools are visible through the plastic and easily stored in a side bag for convenience. A little Loktite would have prevented the loose windshield. I should have known better.
As a side note. While Lynda was tightening things she had company come visit where she stopped. A young fellow in a pick-up stopped by to see how she was doing. Never offered to help but just made sure all was well before he left. Nice to know there are Good Samaritans out there.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
lenkf

WW, Yah re tools for the road. The OEM GZ toolkit has a bunch of stuff. I'll sort out what it doesn't have as I experience the GZ and augment that kit. I don't have a cross country trip planned on the GZ in the near future, have tow home insurance, so not much worries near home. My Kawi Vulcan needs tools to access battery for a jump start when I forget to turn off the key (out of site under gas tank, bad design). Those tools are handy on the Kawi in the saddle bag

As a bicyclist, I've occasionally stopped for broke down motorists as I carry an assortment of tools in my bike's saddlebags. My tool kit or cellphone has helped all of them. Amazing what a roll of electrical tape can do

BTW, I passed by one of those speed radar signs that tell you how fast you're going. My speedo indicated just under 50mph and the sign said 49mph. Pretty close in that range.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Toss in a handful of zip ties with the tools. They are handy beyond belief in a pinch. You can also join them together for a longer zip tie.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
greatmaul

Thanks for the write up, lenkf! I changed my oil today for the first time also. Used the Rotella T6 synthetic as suggested. I had to pry the cover off a bit too with my nails.

I've got the tool kit that came with the bike, but I'm going to throw in some zip ties and electrical tape into my saddle bag for emergencies. I already have a small roll of bailing wire in there for when my LEDs fall off, a spare headlight and a flashlight
Old 12-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul
Thanks for the write up, lenkf! I changed my oil today for the first time also. Used the Rotella T6 synthetic as suggested. I had to pry the cover off a bit too with my nails.

I've got the tool kit that came with the bike, but I'm going to throw in some zip ties and electrical tape into my saddle bag for emergencies. I already have a small roll of bailing wire in there for when my LEDs fall off, a spare headlight and a flashlight
I have a Garrity flashlite with an LED bulb. A regular bulb might fail due to vibration over time. Oh yeah, almost forgot. Add a few spare fuses just in case one decide to go south. You may never need fuses but you may rescue another rider who is down with a dead fuse.