Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
dentheman

Spring comes to west Texas

We had or first tornado warning of the season last night. That is a common indicater of spring for this part of the country. No tornado formed nearby, but a few blocks west of me they had hail 4 inches in diameter, and flooding conditions. Many homes were severely damaged and cars totaled. I just got a lot of rain, lightning, and some wind.

This is normal spring weather for west TX. Last year we only had a couple small storms that didn't come close to breaking our drought. This year they are forecasting increased wet weather which doesn't bother me a bit. I am tired of just being able to water on Saturdays, per our water restrictions. Watering once a week will not keep all of the lawn alive once the 100 degree temperatures hit.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Spring comes to west Texas

I've seen first hand the damage a tornado can do. It is an awesome force of nature and very deadly. Nothing is safe in it's path.
The only good thing about a dry season is less grass cutting.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I've seen first hand the damage a tornado can do. It is an awesome force of nature and very deadly. Nothing is safe in it's path.
The only good thing about a dry season is less grass cutting.
Lubbock was hit by two tornadoes in one night in May of 70. They killed 27 people. My wife-to-be and I were in the middle of it, at a party. Luckily, a blind guy who lived in the back of the house was also at the party, because there wasn't a square inch of his room that didn't have slivers of glass in the walls. Hail larger than softballs, it made craters in the lawns. Rainwater up to our knees. All around us roofs were lifted off, some were set back down in the steets crushing cars. There were no sirens, the mayor claimed they were disabled by the storm preceding the twisters. I don't know about that.

Even as I am typing this the weather radio alarm is going off, warning that we are under a severe thunderstorm watch. The TV news says to expect tonight to be similar to last night. So I will keep my eyes on the radar and listen to the news.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Does the Gulf of Mexico weather patterns help to cause most of your tornados?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
greatmaul

That's kind of a bummer intro to spring. Here in Cali, we just get flowers and birds.

[edited to add:] sorry, rereading your posts that sounded a little insensitive. I hope you all stay safe and well protected there. I can't even imagine how scary a tornado must be.

Here, we just get earthquakes, and they don't really phase us at all. You stand in a doorway for a minute and if stuff crashes down on you, it crashes down on you. I guess that's why we always keep the Ming vases on the floor rather than on top of the bookcases, where they'd look more purty.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
dentheman

Well, we get our share of birds and butterflies, as well as plenty of ticks since I live in the 'countryside' on the edge of town. I got three off my dog and one off me so far.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Skunkhome

Tornados can and are spawned by tropical storms and hurricanes but. To my knowledge most tornados form in prevailing cyclonic storms moving from SW to NE.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome
Tornados can and are spawned by tropical storms and hurricanes but. To my knowledge most tornados form in prevailing cyclonic storms moving from SW to NE.
Interesting. I hadn't realized that.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
dentheman

The warm moist air coming up from the Gulf of Mexico, meeting cooler, dry air coming from the west often causes severe thunderstorms to develop in W. Texas, which spawns the tornadoes. Tornadoes do not necessarily need this scenario to form, but when it does happen we hunker down for some BAD weather!
Old 05-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

"Way back when", Edmonton Alberta had it's first serious tornado. No large bodies of water needed. Just the right conditions and pure devastation arrived. Edmonton had no tornado reponse plan at the time but the good citizens and charities were very generous with their help. All city departments came to the rescue and most business's chipped in with whatever was needed.
A case in point. A LEO manning the phones(my friend) called Boston Pizza to order food for the displaced folks who had come to his detachment seeking shelter and help. He asked for the final price and was told "no charge" by the manager. Everyone gave back to the community as best they could. A very wonderful lady across the street came over everyday with a huge cauldron of homemade stew or soup.