Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
bmw633

How To Check Piston Rings

Hi,

I have an 2001 GZ250 with 10K miles, and the engine suddenly has lost power. I pulled the head and everything looked ok to me, no broken rings, the valves appear ok. Carbon buildup on top of piston, which I assume is typical.

I cleaned everything and reinstalled the rings, and I used the old head gasket and torqued it down, according to specs. It started ok, but still doesn't have good power, only topping out at 45mph. I set the crank at TDC and then lined the cam according to the marks. It sounded different when I started it, like maybe I am off a link of cam chain. Is there a way to check engine timing without disassembling the engine?

The cylinder walls looked ok to me. The shop I took the bike to compression tested the engine and it only had 110 psi compression before I tore the engine down. I took the head, cam, and cylinder to a machine shop and he kinda looked stupid, said he didn't work on things like that.

How do you know the rings need replacing? Should I just buy the 0.5 or 1 oversize rings, and maybe hone the cylinder walls and put it back together?

Seth Anderson
Moon, VA

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: How To Check Piston Rings

Did you check the valve clearances before you took apart the engine?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

First, I wouldn't have reused the old gasket. That's a simple and cheap replacement that's just better to go ahead and get rid of for piece of mind and to eliminate variables. Maybe there is a weak spot in it and you're getting the same results because of it.

Before the other work, did you check the basics, like checking the exhaust gaskets for leaks? Those are known to deteriorate and people have expressed similar symptoms and it was something as simple as that. I'm not insulting your intelligence. Just making sure it's all been done.

You do definitely need to get the head checked to make sure it's planed. With everything else being sound and/or replaced, a slightly warped head caused by overheating or whatever will still be losing compression...

Like with the gasket, a set of replacement rings are cheap enough, if for nothing else to know that those aren't the cause of your problem. Do you have one of those ring tester things? I don't even know what they are called but they test the tension and make sure they aren't worn

Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
mrlmd1

If any of the exhaust or head gaskets were leaking, you might hear a poof or see some smoke coming out where it shouldn't, but if a valve is leaking, which is more likely, if they were neglected, you could lose compression that way. The valves appearing OK don't give you the clearances, you can't see that that well.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
DAN

If you have compression, spark, and gas, next check the air filter for restrictions (mega dust, ants, mouse, bee's), then check the exhaust for carbon build up at the inward exhaust pipe or it is possible the internal baffels in the muffler have rusted and collapsed causing a retriction. Personally I would do a complete cleaning of the carburator first and look at the spark timing to make sure the timing setting point has not slipped. --dan--
100cc and 125cc honda CB
350cc yamaha twin - 1970
160cc honda -1966 model
350cc honda CB 1970
350cc honda SL
650 Yamaha 1972
F650gs BMW 2007
Virago 750 Yamaha 1996

Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
bmw633

I am taking the heads, the piston, the cylinder, and the camshaft to a machine shop for them to do a valve job and to hone out the cylinder wall or bore it out, whichever it needs. I will get the rings depending on what is needed.

While I was putting the bike back together, one of the screws that holds the plastic top of the carb was loose. I am sure that impacted the bike's lack of power.

The gasket between the case and the cylinder jug: do I order another gasket or can I use some Permatex like what is used to seal the head cover?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
bmw633

Another problem I had was lining up the crankshaft and camshaft. With everything in position as per the manual, one of the two bolt holes to the camshaft sprocket is obscured by the side of the cylinder, so I had to advance the motor to the point that I could access the bolt hole. I believe on the first attempt at reassembly I did not take out the slack on the front side of the camshaft, which made the camshaft timing one link retarded. As far as bolting the the sprocket to the camshaft, is there a trick to it?
Old 12-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw633
I am taking the heads, the piston, the cylinder, and the camshaft to a machine shop for them to do a valve job and to hone out the cylinder wall or bore it out, whichever it needs. I will get the rings depending on what is needed.

While I was putting the bike back together, one of the screws that holds the plastic top of the carb was loose. I am sure that impacted the bike's lack of power.

The gasket between the case and the cylinder jug: do I order another gasket or can I use some Permatex like what is used to seal the head cover?
Get the gasket. Any pressure going past the rings will blow out the Permatex.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
bmw633

I am referring to the head gasket, but the gasket between the cylinder and the crank case. It is black and paper thin.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

It would be best to go with a gasket (in my opinion) whether it be the head gasket or base gasket between the cylinder and cases.