Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
I was going jack the right side of my bike up a bit yesterday, but i didnt think the kickstand would hold the wieght so i didnt do it. I was at work and decided to clean and lube my chain. My wooden homemade jackstands were at home.
When Lynda and I were traveling I just used a stick of wood to hold up the right side of the swing arm. Wrap some velcro around the front brake lever to keep the bike from rolling and have at it.
I don't recommend this to anyone but if you use a really strong elastic band on the side stand switch you can run it in 1st gear to lube the chain quickly and more evenly with less mess and drips. Velcro would work on the switch too but I happen to find an electric floor sweeper belt that was perfect. Note: make sure you don't wrap the front brake with the throttle partially open. The side stand switch is easy to get at from the right side of the bike once it is tipped up with the stick. It worked for me but do it at your own risk and think about it before trying it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #12
Rookie Rider

I thought about running the bike to lube the chain. But i wont, not yet and not alone.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
I thought about running the bike to lube the chain. But i wont, not yet and not alone.
I do it all the time on the Vstrom with a center stand but I would never try to clean the chain while running. Life is short but my fingers are still long and I want to keep them that way.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
5th_bike

(off topic, but..) I often run the bike to oil the chain, when it's on the wooden stands. Just keep your fingers away from the chain, and oiling it (with a little squeeze can) and brushing the oil around on the chain (paint brush) is an easy job then.